ISS is here for you.

All services continue to be offered remotely during regular business hours.

COVID-19 Updates from International Student Services: August 2021: Easing of border measures coming into effect on August 9th, 2021 at 12:01am (ET). 
The latest updates can be found on the Entering Canada page.
            1. International students with a valid study permit (or approval letter) can travel to Canada (McGill is on the list of DLIs with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan). Before making travel plans, please refer to our Entering Canada page.
            2. Fully vaccinated travellers authorized to enter Canada by land or by air, are now exempt from the federal requirement to undergo a 14-day quarantine. The 14-day quarantine continues to be required for all other travellers who are not considered fully vaccinated.
           3. For more information, please refer to McGill's quarantine resources and IHI’s vaccination FAQs.

Please visit our COVID-19 page for additional news, resources, and FAQs.

FAQs for Immigration Documents

Before reviewing the information below, please see ISS' COVID-19 FAQs and resources pages for up to date information on the impact of COVID-19 on immigration related matters.

ISS Immigration Glossary

Graduate Student Essentials


Here are the most frequently asked questions (FAQs) about immigration documents:

CAQ (Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec)

Do I have to apply for a new CAQ if I change universities or programs?

You do not have to apply for a new CAQ if you change universities or programs as long as you meet the following conditions:

a) Your program of studies is the same length as your original program;
b) Your original CAQ was issued for university studies;
c) You do not change the level of study (e.g. Bachelor to Masters).

NOTE:  You can find information on when to submit a new application for a CAQ for studies on the MIDI website.

*Please note that the information is only available in French.

What does "proof of financial capacity" mean and how do I demonstrate it?

If your checklist includes a request for proof of financial capacity, you - or whoever is supporting you - should provide a confirmation that you/they can cover tuition and fees plus 1 year of living expenses.  For living expenses, Immigration Quebec requires a minimum of $1,000 per month.

Study Permits

What do I do if my study permit was issued for another university and I would now like to study at McGill?

You do not have to apply for a new study permit if you change universities. However, you must notify CIC of the change in universities by updating the information on your MyCIC account. See here for more information.

Do I have to apply for a new Study Permit if I change programs?

You do not have to apply for a new Study Permit if you change universities, programs or level of study.  However, please note that if you had a Study Permit for high school studies and now would like to start your university studies at McGill you will have to apply for a new Study Permit.  See here for details.

Can I travel while my online study permit renewal application made inside Canada is still in process?

When travelling back into Canada you should bring with you proof that you have renewed your study permit and a copy of the supporting documents that you submitted for your study permit application (i.e. your CAQ, proof of enrollment, your transcript, etc.).

If you come back before your study permit expires, the border office has the right to question your intention to remain in Canada on a temporary basis and question whether you will leave the country by the date that your study permit expires. This is why it is important that you can demonstrate that you have applied to renew your status.

If you come back to Canada after your study permit expires and before you receive your new study permit, the following are possible scenarios that can occur according to CIC’s website:

If you have applied to extend your study permit and plan on traveling outside Canada while your application is in process, you can leave Canada and come back. However, one of three things will happen when you return to Canada:

  • You may be admitted to Canada as a temporary resident visitor if CIC has not yet decided to extend your study permit. If so, you cannot study until you receive your new permit. The officer at the port of entry may ask you to prove you have enough money to support yourself in Canada.
  • You may be admitted to Canada as a student if the officer at the port of entry can confirm that CIC extended your study permit while you were away.
  • You may be asked to apply for a new study permit at the port of entry.

Note: It is possible that you will not be able to enter Canada. The final decision is made at the border by the border services officer.

We always advise students to wait and remain in Canada while their study permit renewal application is being processed.  However, if that is not a possibility you should be aware of the possible scenarios that can occur.

TRV (Temporary Resident Visa/Entry Visa)

If my current TRV (Entry Visa) says "Student" and is still valid, do I need a new TRV if I am changing my status to "Worker"?

No; your TRV is valid regardless of whether it was issued to you as a student or worker. You can enter Canada with a TRV – “student” with a work permit.

Can I apply for my Study Permit and TRV/Entry Visa at the same time?

It depends where you are applying for your Study Permit:

A) If you are applying for a Study Permit outside of Canada, you can apply for your TRV in the same application and you are exempt from paying the TRV application fee. 

B) If you are applying to renew your Study Permit inside Canada, you will have to wait to receive the new Study Permit before you apply for your new TRV.  See application instructions here.

Can I travel to the US if my TRV has expired?  Will I be allowed back into Canada?

First, make sure you have the required documents to enter the US. You can travel to the US with an expired TRV as long as you have a valid Study Permit or Work Permit.  Please see the CIC website for details.



How do I correct an error on my Immigration Canada immigration document?

Where are the instructions from Citizenship and Immigration Canada? 

If there is an error on your immigration document:

a) Read the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website
b) Complete a Request to Amend Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Valid Temporary Resident Documents form, and
b) Send it to the Query Response Centre in Ottawa, Ontario.




Back to top