Dear International Students,
We know that for many of you, McGill has become a second home, and that you’ve built incredible friendships and communities here. However, this is certainly a time to be in the place you feel best supported, and many of you may prefer to return home if you feel able to do so. It has been confirmed that students will not be required to be physically on campus for the rest of the Winter 2020 term; this means that there will be no in-person classes and no in-person sit-down examinations for this term. It has also been confirmed that the term will conclude on time as previously scheduled.
If you wish to leave Montreal or Canada to return home, you can do so without needing to return to campus later on in the term. It is, however, important to acknowledge that if you do return home, and home is outside Canada, it may be difficult to return to Canada for the time being, so please ensure that you are returning somewhere you feel safe and supported.
Your parents may also be very worried about your situation; we encourage you to share all communications that you receive from McGill with them. We will continue to share with you the most up-to-date information that we have to help you make decisions to ensure your safety and well-being.
- International Student Services (ISS) will continue to provide information and advice on questions related to your immigration documents and status in Canada for the coming weeks: international.students [at] mcgill.ca.
- ISS will answer questions related to your Blue Cross Health Insurance coverage as long as you stay in Canada. Testing and treatments for COVID-19 are fully covered. For more info, email international.health [at] mcgill.ca.
- All questions related to your academics should be directed to your Faculty or Graduate Department.
- McGill’s Scholarships and Student Aid office can offer some emergency financial aid for either travelling or living expenses. For more details, consult the SSAO website.
- Bookmark and consult regularly both the ISS and McGill’s COVID-19 websites for the most up-to-date information for international students.
- Many of McGill’s support services are moving online, meaning that you will still be able to access support from your home country.
- Keep.meSAFE, a mental health counselling service offered to students in partnership with SSMU and PGSS, is available to all students, regardless of where you are in the world. This service provides 24/7 access to licensed counsellors through telephone and mobile chat in more than 60 languages. To access this service, download the MySSP app in the Apple App Store or Google Play.
The International Student Services Team
March 18, 2020