Please send two letters of recommendation (academic and/or employment), in English or in French. These letters must be emailed directly from the referees to the Student Affairs Administrator: studentadmin.ihsp [at] mcgill.ca. In addition, students should submit:
- A completed Cover Letter Template ( exp_policy_cover_letter_template.docx)
- Cover letters should be 1 to 2 pages long
- Cover letters should be submitted as Word documents
- Current CV that includes the applicant’s contact information
- An electronic copy of all post-secondary transcripts
- Official transcript not required—unofficial copies must clearly indicate the source of information (e.g. Minerva)
- A 5-10 page writing sample of previous work in either English or French
- The writing sample may be an excerpt from a longer document but you must be the sole author. If you provide an excerpt from a larger document, please include a few lines describing the the purpose or context for which the document was written.
- The purpose of the writing sample is to assess your ability to write professionally/academically
- Proof of enrollment as a full time student
To be eligible for the internship program, applicants must be registered as a full-time advanced undergraduate (60+ credits) or graduate student at McGill University at the time of their internship.
Applications are evaluated based on:
- fit with the project and needs of policy partner
- compatibility with the goals of the IHSP
- good working knowledge of French (spoken, reading and written)
- writing ability
- specific skills (e.g. STATA, Photoshop)
- program’s relevance for student's future goals
Applicants should have a clearly defined interest in health and social policy, as well as an understanding of the IHSP’s goals and current research. Applicants should also be able to explain what they hope to gain from the internship, and how the internship fits in with their career goals.
All completed applications will be reviewed by the Student Affairs Administrator, policy partner staff, and IHSP staff/faculty. Students selected for interviews will be contacted by December 13th. The IHSP will communicate its final decisions to all applicants by December 24th.
For additional information, please contact the Student Affairs Administrator (studentadmin.ihsp [at] mcgill.ca).