Student Exchanges & Study Abroad

There are various types of study abroad opportunities, but each takes careful planning and advance consultation with an adviser at the departmental as well as the Faculty level. The links and descriptions below are to help you get started. The Arts OASIS office can provide information, a Faculty of Arts adviser, and ongoing help for all WMST/SDST students interested in studying abroad. Once you have consulted with your Faculty of Arts adviser at Arts OASIS, you can follow the procedure for transferring credits.

Exchange Programs | Inter-University Transfer (CREPUQ) | Independent Study Away | Explore Program | Field Studies and Off-Campus Courses | Transferring Credits

Studying Away from McGill

Studying at another university can enrich your undergraduate experience. There are various types of study abroad opportunities, but each takes careful planning, advance consultation, and approval from the Faculty of Arts and your departmental adviser. The information below can help you get started.

Exchange Programs

McGill maintains academic partnerships with a variety of international institutions across a spectrum of disciplines. You can choose an exchange program that spans or two terms, depending on the university agreement and your interests. Students interested in an exchange work closely with an Arts and a departmental adviser on selecting a program, choosing courses, and transferring credits. More information on available programs and the application process can be found on the Arts OASIS Exchange Programs page.

Quebec Inter-University Transfer (CREPUQ)

The Québec Inter-University Transfer (IUT) Agreement permits concurrent registration at McGill and another Quebec institution for one or more courses which will count towards a degree at the student's home university. Students wishing to take advantage of this agreement should consult Arts OASIS, McGill's IUT information page, and CREPUQ for details, eligibility requirements, and information about credit transfers. Students can find more information about the IUT authorization and agreement, with direct links to the online authorization form, here.

Many WMST/SDST students take courses offered by the Simone de Beauvoir Institute at Concordia University. The Institute is a college of Concordia University, which offers a variety of courses that explore the historical and contemporary aspects of women's oppression and resistance.

Note: In order to take an elective course using the CREPUQ system, you are asked to input your major. If you would like to count a course toward Sexual Diversity Studies (SDS), then set your major as SDS. If you would like to count a course toward another program, you must set that program as your major, even if it is an elective course. For example, if you are a SDS minor and you want to take a course in Sociology that will count toward your SDS minor, select your major as SDS. If you want to count that Sociology course as an elective toward your SDS Minor, select your major as Sociology rather than SDS

Independent Study Away

If you would like to design and locate your own study abroad program, you can do using the steps outlined by Arts OASIS. There are over 400 universities approved as suitable destinations or you may submit a request to have a specific program or institution approved which does not appear on the list. The steps for an independent study away program are outlined here.

Explore Program (Summer Term Only)

The Explore Program offers students an opportunity to learn and improve their French skills during the summer term through study at another Canadian institution. Not all of the courses in Explore are eligible for transfer credits and interested students should familiarize themselves with each host institution prior to the application process. Students apply using the Explore application as well as a secondary form submitted to the Arts OASIS. More information about the Explore summer program is available on the Explore website.

Field Studies and Off-Campus Courses

The packages of McGill courses available as field study semesters allow you to put theory into practice, integrating and applying the knowledge you gain in the classroom in local, regional, and international programs. Off-campus courses are typically offered during the summer months in a variety of disciplines. Application deadlines are usually early in the Winter term prior to study. 

Transferring Credits

Please be advised that McGill's credit transfer takes place on two levels:

  • the Faculty level (through Arts OASIS), and
  • the Program/Departmental level.

The Transfer Course Approval form can be found on Minerva.

  • You should consult with an Arts adviser prior to study at a host university/institution. More information about the transfer credit policy can be found here.
  • For departmental approval, please make sure to send course descriptions, outlines, and/or syllabi of the courses you intend to take, or have taken while abroad in an andrew.folco [at] (email) to the IGSF Administrative and Student Affairs Coordinator in addition to filling out the Transfer Course Approval form on Minerva.
  • Please include the following information: your name, ID number, McGill degree and programs, the name of your host institution, how many terms you will be/were abroad, course titles, descriptions and outlines of the courses you intend to take/took while abroad in your email.

If you have any further questions regarding your study away program or exchange, please schedule an advising appointment with Andrew Folco, the IGSF Administrative and Student Affairs Coordinator: 514.398.4400 x089872 or andrew.folco [at] (email)