How to obtain a record of employment (ROE)

Records of Employment are not issued automatically, they must be requested from the HR Service Centre by the department/unit.

For employees paid by appointment, a Notice of Termination must be forwarded to the HR Service Centre.

For casual employees, the following information is required:

  • Surname of individual (as it appears in Banner)
  • First name of individual (as it appears in Banner)
  • McGill ID number
  • First day of work
  • Last day of work
  • Reason for leaving
  • Contact name in department/unit should further information be required

The ROE is electronically transferred to Service Canada by the University using protocols and procedures established by Service Canada.  Service Canada requires all applicants for Employment Insurance benefits to use their on-line services.

Employees needing a copy of the Record of Employment can print a hard copy by visiting "My Service Canada Account" on the Service Canada website.

For information about eligibility for Employment Insurance Benefits see the Service Canada website.