Read our FAQs and discover resources available to faculty and staff.

Resolving workplace conflicts

McGill works to be a positive workplace for everyone, but we understand that with thousands of employees, questions, concerns and difficult situations will occasionally arise.

If you feel unfairly treated or are having difficulties with a colleague, there are many ways for you to find information, get support, and potentially turn the situation into an opportunity for positive change. This page can help you take the first steps toward resolving conflicts and achieving the best possible outcomes.

Avenues Open to You

  1. Talk with your immediate supervisor
    If you are comfortable talking with your supervisor, she/he may be best-placed to help you resolve the issue or escalate it as necessary.
  2. Contact your HR advisor
    If you would prefer not to approach your supervisor, or if this doesn’t resolve the issue, try contacting your unit’s HR advisor. He/she can clarify McGill's employment policies and practices, and can also confidentially discuss and address a wide variety of questions like:
    • What can I do if I feel I've been treated inequitably?
    • How can I resolve a dispute with a colleague?
    • What should I do if I feel I've experienced harassment, discrimination, or other unfair treatment?
  3. Contact the Office for Mediation and Reporting
    If you or someone you know is dealing with harassment, discrimination or sexual violence, please reach out to the Office for Mediation and Reporting. In case of sexual violence, employees can also contact the Office for Sexual Violence Response, Support and Education.
  4. Call the EFAP
    If you are a member of the McGill benefits plan, you have access to the Employee and Family Assistance Program – a free and confidential service offering short-term counselling on various topics including workplace disputes, harassment, relationship difficulties, legal and financial problems, and a wide range of other issues. They can be reached at 1-844-852-7572 or online, or the Mobile App
  5. Contact your union or association
    If you are a member of a union or association, you may wish to speak with your union executive or representative for additional support. Consult your collective agreement for more information.
  6. File a complaint or letter of dispute
    Consult the University's Dispute Resolution Policy or the relevant article in your collective agreement. For harassment- or discrimination-related issues, consult the Policy on Harassment, Sexual Harassment & Discrimination Prohibited by Law.
Back to top