Physical activity can be the most productive part of your day and it can be anything you like! Getting sweaty for 150 minutes every week has incredible benefits for your sleep, stress, memory, mood, and overall well-being.
- Aim for 150 minutes of physical activity every week
- Focus on moderate to vigorous aerobic exercise in bouts of 10 minutes or more
- Add in muscle & bone strengthening exercises at least 2 days per week
- Brisk walking
- Dancing (Classes are offered by SSMU mini courses and McGill Athletics and Recreation)
- Swimming (For Memorial Pool hours see here)
- Martial Arts (Classes are offered by McGill Athletics and Recreation)
- Squash (For court info see here)
- Skating (For info on rinks in Montreal see here)
- Intramurals - from soccer to innertube water polo!
- Weight lifting or resistance training (For info on personal training see here)
- Body weight exercises (at home or at the gym)!
Don’t forget to stretch! Benefits of stretching include injury prevention, pain & tension relief, stress relief, improved circulation, and increased flexibility. Stretching can be done at home or in groups/classes (SSMU yoga minicourses, McGill Athletics and Recreation).
"Canadian Physical Activity Guidelines for Adults 18-64 Years" Participaction, 2013, Retrieved from https://www.participaction.com/get-started/physical-activity-guidelines/...
"What is Moderate-intensity and Vigorous-intensity Physical Activity?" World Health Organization, 2015, Retrieved from http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/physical_activity_intensity/en/
"The Only 5 Stretches you Need" Nora Tobin, 2012, Retrieved from https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/20/only-best-stretches-you-need_n...
"Canadian Physical Activity Guidelines: For adults - 18-64 years" Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology & Participaction, Retrieved from http://www.csep.ca/CMFiles/Guidelines/CSEP_PAGuidelines_adults_en.pdf
"The Benefits of Physical Activity" Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2015, Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/pa-health/index.htm