June 7-8, 2020 (via Zoom)
HBHL's annual Research Day showcases the research of trainees (graduate students and postdoctoral fellows) who are working in areas related to HBHL's goals and priorities.
All trainees, faculty and staff with an interest in brain health are encouraged to attend. Research Day 2021 will be held using Zoom Webinars — registered participants will receive the link by email one hour before the start of the event on each day.
Research Day is organized by the HBHL Trainee Committee. For more information about Research Day, please hbhl.trainees [at] mcgill.ca (contact the HBHL Trainee Committee).
Day 1: Monday, June 7, 2021, from 1:00 - 5:00 p.m.
- 1:00 p.m.: Opening Remarks (Dr. Doina Precup, HBHL Associate Scientific Director, McGill University)
- 1:10 p.m.: Oral Presentations -Session 1 (3 x 15 min)
- A neuroimaging study of the effects of anti-inflammatory treatment in the TgF344-AD rat model of Alzheimer’s disease (Caitlin Fowler; PI: Jamie Near; McGill University)
- The cost of untracked diversity in brain-imaging prediction (Oualid Benkarim; PI: Boris Bernhardt; McGill University)
- MicroRNAs as developmental sensors of vulnerability to depression (Alice Morgunova; PI: Cecilia Flores; McGill University)
- 2:00 p.m.: Industry Talks (2 x 5 min)
- 2:10 p.m.: Flash talk viewing // Poster
- 3:10 p.m.: Oral Presentations -Session 2 (2 x 15 min)
- Multivariate associations between cortical morphometry and dimensions of the adolescent psychosis spectrum (Alyssa Dai; PI: Mallar Chakravarty; McGill University)
- Functional reorganization of brain connectivity after L-DOPA intake in Parkinson’s disease with freezing of gait (Alexandra Potvin-Desrochers; PI: Caroline Paquette; McGill University)
- 3:45 p.m.: Industry Talks (2 x 5 min talks)
- 4:00 p.m.: Keynote presentation: Dr. Leonardo Collado-Torres
- 5:00 p.m.: Closing Remarks (Krystle Van Hoof, Managing Director and CEO at Healthy Brains, Healthy Lives)
Day 2: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 from 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- 9:00 a.m.: Opening Remarks (Dr. Anne McKinney, Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, Faculty of Medicine, McGill University)
- 9:10 a.m.: Keynote Presentation – Dr. Yasmin Hurd
- 10:10 a.m.: Industry Talk 1 (1 x 5 min)
- 10:15 a.m.: Oral Presentations – Session 1 (2 x 15 min)
- Sex differences in brain aging among adults with Alzheimer’s disease risk (Sivaniya Subramaniapillai; PI: Natasha Rajah; McGill University)
- Effectiveness of the virtual operative assistant (VOA) compared to remote-based expert instruction in neurosurgical simulation training (Ali Fazlollahi; PI: Rolando Del Maestro; McGill University)
- 10:50 a.m.: Flash Talk viewing // Poster
- 11:50 a..m.: Industry Talk (1 x 5 min)
- 12:00 p.m.: Oral Presentations – Session 2 (3 x 15 min)
- Optogenetic mapping of cerebellar circuitry and its implications in a mouse model of ARSACS (Kim Gruver; PI: Alana Watt; McGill University)
- Postural control is associated with brain volume in mild cognitive impairment (Lily Merovitz-Budning; PI: Marc Roig; McGill University)
- Memory mismatch potentiates the clinical efficacy of reconsolidation impairment: a reanalysis (Ram Sapkota; PI: Alain Brunet; McGill University)
- 12:50 p.m.: Industry Talk (NeuroSphere)
- 1:00 p.m.: Novel Techniques in Neuroscience Panel
- 1:30 p.m.: Best Presentation Awards and door prizes/Closing Remarks (Dr. Alan Evans, Scientific Director, Healthy Brains, Healthy Lives)
Research Day Sponsors
NanoString technology enables a wide variety of basic research, translational medicine and in vitro diagnostics applications, utilizing the following instrumentation: 1) the GeoMx® Digital Spatial Profiler and 2) the nCounter® Analysis System. The GeoMx Digital Spatial Profiler combines high-plex and high-throughput spatial analysis of RNA and protein expression data validated in fresh frozen and FFPE tissue. The nCounter platform is a complete solution for digitally detecting and counting large sets of molecules, to profile mRNA, DNA, Protein, miRNA expression up to 800 targets simultaneously, with no amplification, no RT, no library prep and simple, free data analysis solutions.
Paladin is an operating company of Endo International PLC (NASDAQ: ENDP). With headquarters in Montréal, Canada, Paladin Labs Inc. is a leading specialty pharmaceutical company focused on acquiring or licensing emerging pharmaceuticals for the Canadian market.
For more than 30 years, Miltenyi Biotec has played an important role in the design, development, manufacture, and integration of products that empower the advancement of biomedical research and enable cell and gene therapy. They offer a diverse portfolio of tools covering a wide range of research from immunology and stem cell research to neurosciences research. Miltenyi Biotec is focusing on developing tools that will help bring your research forward.
Microbix is a Canadian company founded in 1985 and focussed on culturing infectious disease pathogens. These pathogens are purified and inactivated, and provided to diagnostic test manufacturers as a raw material in classical antibody-antigen detection tests. Additionally, samples diluted to typical patient concentrations are provided as positive quality control samples to clinical laboratories to confirm diagnostic test performance. Microbix is proud to be a critical raw material and a finished controls supplier to the diagnostic industry on a global basis.
Based out of San Diego, BioLegend develops cutting-edge antibodies and reagents for biomedical research. Their mission is to accelerate research and discovery by providing the highest quality products at an outstanding value, along with superior customer service, technical support and a certified quality management system. Their product expertise covers a diverse set of research areas including immunology, neuroscience, cancer, stem cells and cell biology.
MJS BioLynx Inc
MJS BioLynx Inc. is a Canadian company with over 20 years of experience distributing products for the life sciences. MJS BioLynx specializes in providing high quality products from major worldwide suppliers for cell biology, protein chemistry, immunology, molecular biology and microbiology. They are committed to providing technical expertise and superior customer service while maintaining a high inventory in order to ensure fast product delivery.