International graduate students admissions

McGill University welcomes qualified international applicants from all over the world!

Please review the applying and admission section which will guide you through the graduate admissions process and explain what is required of all applicants.

All applicants, regardless of country of origin or backgrounds must meet these minimum academic requirements:

  • Have earned an accredited or recognized university degree (equivalent to a McGill undergraduate degree, Bachelor’s) which would serve as a basis of admission to a graduate degree program at a recognized research-intensive university in the same country.
  • The university degree, described above, must have been completed with a minimum standing of 3.0/4.0 or the equivalent, according to grading scale on the transcript.
  • Applicants must also meet any academic requirements set by the McGill graduate department to which they are applying. Admission to McGill is competitive and meeting the minimum standard does not guarantee acceptance.

As an international applicant you must additionally prove proficiency in English, and learn about International credentials and grade equivalencies, and be aware of the admission deadlines applicable to you.

Apply early

We encourage all international applicants to apply early. Many programs have earlier deadlines for international applicants.

Once you have been accepted into your program, you will need to sort out the necessary travel, study and immigration documents with the Canadian Government representative in your area (embassy or consulate). This process can be time consuming therefore, we encourage you to apply to your program early. That way, you have plenty of time to sort out the travel, study and immigration documents and arrangements. For support in these matters, please visit the International Student Services website and check out the Immigration Essentials for International Graduate Students

Apply for a work permit after graduation

After completion of your McGill degree, you can obtain an Open Work Permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) program. This permit enables you to stay in Canada for three years after you graduate. For more information, please visit the International Student Services website.



If you have any admissions questions, please email us.

Back to top