On January 27th, 2020, McGill signed an agreement with the Institute of Finance and Information for Education from the State of Guanajuato (JuventudEsGTO, formerly Educafin) to co-sponsor Mexican students from the state of Guanajuato enrolled in a Master's Thesis Program or PhD at McGill. The agreement aims at attracting top Mexican students to pursue graduate studies at Canada’s leading research-intensive university.
Value & Duration
JuventudEsGTO will provide annual funding in the form of a forgivable loan* for the following:
- McGill tuition at the Quebec Resident rate
- Program/ancillary fees
- Health and living insurance
- A stipend, paid directly to the student each month, to cover living expenses
- Return airfare
McGill, in turn, will cover the tuition differential between the International and the Quebec Resident rate (International supplements), and an annual top-up of 5,000 CAD for the duration of the sponsorship.
Funding is provided for a maximum period of two (2) years for thesis-based Master’s students or PhD students.
*This is a loan remission program in which JuventudEsGTO condones up to 100% of the loan if certain conditions are met, such as returning to Guanajuato after studies, complete a degree in their priority fields, etc. Please consult document here (in Spanish) for more information esquemas_de_retribucion.pdf
|Competition Announcement||April 25th, 2021|
|Start of Application Period||April 25th, 2021|
|End of Application Period||June 15th, 2021|
|Review Period||June 16th-July 29th, 2021|
|Results Announcement||July 30th, 2021|
McGill eligibility criteria:
- Must be a citizen of Mexico
- Meet all of McGill's requirements for admission to a graduate program (including academic performance and English requirements)
- Must received an Offer of Admission from McGill graduate research program falling under the eligible areas of knowledge updated each year by JuventudEsGTO. Click here for more information on how to apply to McGill.
JuventudEsGTO eligibility criteria:
- Must be Guanajuatense or a resident of the State of Guanajuato for at least three years.
- To remain eligible for the JuventudEsGTO-McGill sponsorships, Scholars must make satisfactory academic progress as defined in the relevant policies of McGill.
- Please consult the "Talentos de Exportación" call for applications in May for more information.
Please note that not all thesis Master's and PhD programs are eligible for funding by JuventudEsGTO, and it is the applicant's responsibility to check for eligibility requirements from both JuventudEsGTO and McGill.
- Manufacturing and Technology
- Agro and Farming: Agro Genetics
- Administration and Business Management
- Health Sciences
- Education and Social Development
- Natural and Exact Sciences
- Electrical Networks and Energy Management
- Road Transportation
- Mining and Mineral Resource Processing
- Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology
- Geriatrics and Gerontology
- Automated Learning (Machine Learning)
- Human Rights and Development
- International Relations and Development
- Human Resources and Society
- Science of Data and Big Data
- Computer Languages
- App Design
- Business and Innovation
- Crime science and Public Safety
- Math and Physics
- Renewable Energies
- Environmental Studies
Please note that it is the applicant's responsibility to check for eligibility requirements JuventudEsGTO.
Candidates must apply directly to JuventudEsGTO.
JuventudEsGTO recipients are required to apply to the External DFWs offered by the Government of Quebec, via AMEXCID.
Deadline to apply for the Fall 2021 term: Friday, June 4th, 2021 at 1:00 PM (Mexico city time)