Registration for the 2021 McGill Interprofessional Global Health Course is closed.
The McGill Interprofessional Global Health Course (IPGHC) is a student-led initiative that was started in 2007 in an effort to address the paucity of global health content at the time in student health professional curricula at McGill University. Now in its 14th year, the course aims to build on current curricula and engage student participants in an interdisciplinary discussion on various global health topics. The course is a 10-week lecture series that meets on Tuesday evenings from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm. The format for each lecture will include a 1-hour lecture and 1-hour of student-led activities.
The course will incorporate online lecture-based learning, case studies, speakers and panel discussions, small group activities, and audio-visual materials to meet the following course objectives:
- To increase student awareness of the global burden of diseases and the geopolitics of global health.
- To expose students to the realities and challenges facing health professionals in a global and local context.
- To provide a framework for students to approach global health challenges.
- To encourage inter-professionalism by facilitating collaboration and communication amongst students.
- To inspire students to consider applying global health principles to their professional practice.
The course is open to McGill students studying dentistry, medicine, nursing, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, social work, dietetics and human nutrition, and speech-language pathology. Students from other academic backgrounds (U2 and higher) with a strong interest in global health are welcome to apply.
The course will run from January 12, 2021 to March 30, 2021 on Tuesday evenings from 6PM to 8PM.
The course will be available online in MyCourses.
Topics of Discussion
Subjects covered in the course include, but are not limited to, the global burden of disease, ethics and cultural safety, politics and policy, refugee health, food insecurity, environment, and indigenous health.
- This is a free, non-credit course.
- The course will accept a maximum of 120 students.
- Eligible students must complete the 2021 IPGHC student registration form.
- Registration forms are reviewed by the IPGHC student committee.
- Selection to the course will be based on the student program, year of study, motivation to take the course, and overall interest in global health.
- The committee will notify students of their acceptance to the course before the end of December 2020.
- Students who are not accepted to the course will be put on a waitlist.
- Students will need to attend (in real-time) 8 out of the 10 online classes
- Students must complete a pre-and post-survey for the course.
- Students who meet the requirements for the course will receive a certificate of completion.
- Students who complete the course will have it stated on their Co-Curricular Record (CCR).
Please direct any inquiries to studentaffairsghp.med [at] mcgill.ca
To access the registration form please sign-in using your McGill username and password.