Charitable Gift Annuity
Benefit now, have an impact later
A McGill charitable gift annuity is a great way to increase your income, while supporting higher education. McGill University can provide annual, semi-annual or quarterly payments to you and/or your co-annuitant for the remainder of your life, in return for an irrevocable gift of cash or securities. The annuity rate is based on the age of the income recipient(s). This is an ideal giving vehicle for donors 70 years and older, with a minimum investment of $10,000.
Things to consider:
- You will receive an immediate income tax receipt for a portion of the gift.
- If transferring securities, you may benefit from the elimination of the capital gains tax.
- Your annuity provides a lifetime stream of fixed payments for you and/or your co-annuitant, even in volatile markets.
- Your annuity provides the security of a fixed guaranteed income backed by the University’s endowment fund.
- You can support a University priority that meets your interest, such as student aid, building projects, specific programs or research. (We encourage you to do so in consultation with the Bequests and Planned Gifts staff.)
- Minimum age for annuitants is 70 years of age and older.
- Minimum charitable gift annuity level is $10,000.
- A charitable gift annuity frees you from investment and management worries, with no administrative charges.
- Fixed payments may be tax-free, depending on the age of the annuitant(s).
Confidential Statement of Future Intent: Have you included McGill in your estate plans? Completing the Confidential Statement of Future Intent ensures that your wishes are fulfilled and that your gift is used as you have specified.
Information on this site is of a general nature and not intended to constitute financial or legal advice. Please consult your income tax, financial and/or legal advisors before arranging a planned gift. All requests for information are confidential.