McGill Alert / Alerte de McGill

Updated: Thu, 07/18/2024 - 18:12

Gradual reopening continues on downtown campus. See Campus Public Safety website for details.

La réouverture graduelle du campus du centre-ville se poursuit. Complément d'information : Direction de la protection et de la prévention.

Frequently Asked Questions

Course Registration

What is U0 v. U1? How do I know which one I am?

The terms U0 and U1 refer to your enrolment status. Think of it as your “starting line.” This status will determine the number of credits you need to complete and the length of time in which you can expect to finish your degree. U0 can also be referred to as Freshman or Foundation.

U0 means that you have not received advanced standing credits from your previous diploma. This usually includes high school diplomas from Canada (outside Québec) and the US. U0 students will have to complete a freshman program and will finish their degree in a minimum of four years.

If you are U1, you have received a minimum of 24 advanced standing credits. This applies to students who have completed one of the following: CEGEP, A-Levels, CAPE, French Baccalaureate or the International Baccalaureate Diploma. U1 students do not have to complete a freshman program and will finish their degree in 3 years or more.

If you have completed some advanced coursework such as APs, IB Certificate, or university courses, you will initially be placed in U0. McGill will evaluate your coursework once final, official results are received and your status may be changed to U1 if at least 24 advanced standing credits are awarded.

How do I send my final marks?

See here for instructions on any steps you need to take to ensure McGill receives your final marks.

What do I do while I wait for my advanced standing credits to be confirmed?

We would suggest registering for the courses you will be taking if your advanced standing credits are confirmed. The reason for this is that it is easier to register for lower-level classes later if your credits are not approved as they tend to have more seats.

How do I know I’ve successfully registered for a class in Minerva?

After putting in your CRNs in the Quick Add or Drop Sections Menu in the Student Menu and Registration Menu, your classes will show up in the form of a table under Current Schedule. You will know you have successfully registered for a class if the Status is set as “Web Registered on [date of registration]”.

How do I use the VSB (Visual Schedule Builder)?

How do I use Minerva Class Schedule?

How do I know which classes I should register for?

McGill's eCalendar contains information on courses, fees, degree requirements, deadlines, terminology and more. You're responsible for consulting the appropriate calendar each time you register and for meeting your graduation requirements.

For guidance in selecting courses based on your program of study, consult the links below:

Faculty or School Useful Link
Agriculture & Environmental Sciences All undergraduate programs
Faculty of Arts All major concentrations
Bachelor of Arts and Science All programs
Education All concentrations
Faculty of Engineering All undergraduate programs
Desautels Faculty of Management BCom programs
Schulich School of Music All programs
Ingram School of Nursing All programs
School of Physical and Occupational Therapy BSc Rehabilitation
Faculty of Science All areas of study
School of Social Work Bachelor of Social Work

If you still need help or guidance, ask an advisor!

Can I take upper-level classes (e.g. 300-level) if I’m in first year?

You are technically allowed to take an upper-level class in your first year, however as a general rule we advise against this, as most upper-level classes require prerequisites and tend to be difficult. If you do decide to take an upper-level course, make sure to consult with an advisor if this would work for you.

What is a prerequisite or a corequisite?

A pre-requisite is a course that must be completed before you can register for another course. A corequisite is a course that must be completed at the same time as another course.

What do I do if a class is full?

If the course is not required, try to find another class to replace it or keep checking for a spot to free up. Some courses have waitlists that you will be placed in by registering for the course. Please keep in mind that waitlists have a limited number of seats, so you might not get a spot straight away.

If the course is required, email the professor teaching it and if that does not work, contact your faculty/departmental advisor.

What do I do if I get an error message in Minerva?

Do I need a placement test for language classes?

All students (including complete beginners) wishing to take a French course are required to take an online placement test. All French courses given at the French Language Centre (FLC) have limited enrollment and placement tests are mandatory for all students. View more information on how to register for a French placement test.

For other languages, placement Tests will be administered during the first week of class in the language class the student is registered in. If you miss the placement test, you will not be able to remain in the course. However, this is not the case for all languages, especially for beginner’s classes that site no prior knowledge of the language being necessary to remain in a course. Please email either the professor offering the course or a program advisor for more information (for a list of language departments, consult the Faculty of Arts - Language Departments and Programs page).

How do I contact an advisor?

To find out who you should contact in your School or Faculty, check the Advisor Directory.

Note that some Schools or Faculties will assign an advisor, and others will not, but in either case, there is someone to help you!

What if I have other questions about course registration?

For questions regarding technical registration issues, holds preventing you from registering for courses, issues accessing Minerva or fee-related questions while registering for courses, please contact Service Point.

If you have questions regarding specific courses, program requirements and academic advice, please get in touch with an academic advisor from your School or Faculty.

For issues relating to International Students and legal advice for legal documentation and processes, please contact International Student Services. If you’re unsure of who to contact for other concerns, please contact us at Campus Life & Engagement.

Back to top