Q - What can my child do during the summer to help prepare themselves for university?
A - There are a number of things that new students can take advantage of during the summer to prepare for university:
- Read the regular emails that Campus Life & Engagement sends them (to the email they used when they applied to McGill). Each one addresses a different theme that includes everything from course registration to how to get involved in campus activities. These emails are archived for easy access at our Publications page on our website for first-year students.
- Visit McGill 101 on myCourses and review the master checklist and watch informational videos
- Take advantage of our Student Matching Programs to be paired with a senior student in their Faculty who will correspond with them throughout the summer.
Q - When can I make travel plans to bring them home for the holidays in December?
A – It is important not to make any permanent bookings or plans for travel before knowing the final exam schedules for the Fall and Winter Semesters. A tentative schedule will be posted near the end of September/end of January respectively, to allow for exam conflicts to be identified, and shortly after, the final exam schedule will be posted. If you must make bookings now in order to take advantage of special rates, etc., then we recommend that you book for the first day following the exam period. Exams are written in the mornings, afternoons and evenings. Holiday or travel plans will not result in deferred exam approvals.
- Fall Exam Period – December 6-20, 2018
- Winter Exam Period – April 15-30, 2019
Holidays (University closed) for students:
- Canadian Thanksgiving Weekend: October 6-8, 2018
- Winter Break: December 21, 2018 to January 6, 2019
- Study Break: March 4-8, 2019
- Easter Weekend: Friday, April 19 to Monday, April 22, 2019
Q- When is the tuition payment deadline?
A - Tuition is paid each semester. The fee payment deadlines are:
August 31, 2018 - For the Fall Semester
January 4, 2019 – For the Winter Semester
Some fees and charges (e.g. Residences, lab fees, library charges, etc.) are paid monthly.
To have direct access to your child’s fee account on Minerva, ask them to provide you with “Guest Access” on Minerva.
Q - Can we move into Residences early/late?
A – Both situations are possible provided that you contact the respective Residence to advise them of an early or late arrival. Fees will apply to an early move-in. Residences' move-in weekend is August 25 & 26, 2018.
- Carrefour Sherbrooke: (514) 398-2299
- Douglas Hall: (514) 398-6367
- Upper Residences (McConnell, Molson, Gardner Halls): (514) 398-6367
- La Citadelle: (514) 398-8650
- MORE Houses: (514) 398-3318
- New Residence Hall: (514) 398-3471
- Royal Victoria College: (514) 398-6378
- Solin Hall: (514) 398-5131
Q - Where do we park during move-in day?
A - It's mostly street parking, so be careful of restricted residential areas!
Q - What time does move-in start on move-in day?
A - To find out more about the Residences' move-in dates and what to expect, please visit the Student Housing website.