Who needs to apply for access?
Fund Financial Managers or Principal Investigators (FFM/PI), those who are directly responsible for administering funds:
- Have automatic access to query fund balances and transactions posted to their funds and grants in Minerva.
- If you are an FFM/PI and would like to receive training on using Minerva, Banner, and/or running reports, email the (fishelp.acct [at] mcgill.ca (subject: FFM%2FPI%20request%20for%20Minerva%2FBanner%20training) (Finance Help Desk ))to set-up a training session.
Administrative staff and others who need access to query financial information and process transactions must:
- Attend training
- Submit the appropriate authorization form (you must attend the pre-requisite training courses prior to submitting the authorization form)
You must have a valid McGill ID in order to be granted finance access. If you do not have a valid McGill ID or are a hospital employee, you may request a McGill ID by submitting the Request for a McGill ID # for external users form found on the Forms page of the Human Resources website (in the Employee Services section).
For a list of Frequently Asked Questions, read our Knowledge Base article.
Finance (Fund) Administration menu in Minerva
- The menu options used to query fund/grant balances, view posted transactions, and to view monthly financial statements are only activated once your finance access has been processed.
- For information about the Minerva Finance (Fund) Administration menu options, read our Knowledge Base article.
To request access to the Finance (Fund) Administration menu in Minerva:
|Pre-requisite Course(s)||To Register||Form to Submit (after the course)||Need Help?|
|OLC - FIS 401 |
|Log in to Minerva > Employee menu > IT Customer Services (ICS) menu > Online Training||FIS Authorization form||Contact the Finance Help Desk at 514-398-3463 or send us an fishelp.acct [at] mcgill.ca (email)|
Finance Module in Banner
- The Finance Module in Banner is used to process deposits, inter departmental charges (IDC), journals, query fund/grant balances and view posted transactions.
- For a listing of Banner forms with links to step-by-step instructions, consult this Knowledge Base article.
To request access to the Finance Module in Banner:
|Type of Access||Pre-requisite Course(s)||Training Calendar||To Register||Form to Submit (after the course)||Need Help?|
|General Finance Access||OLC - FIS 401 (previously FIS 301) GEN 300 OLC - FIS 430 (previously FIS 330) |
Log in to Minerva > Employee menu > IT Customer Services (ICS) menu > Online training
|FIS Authorization form||Contact the Finance Help Desk at 514-398-3463 or send us an fishelp.acct [at] mcgill.ca (email)|
|JE16 access (process journal transfers from one fund to another)||Banner access (see above) + FIS 339 |
Listed with the course description OR see the dates when registering in Minerva
Log in to Minerva > Employee menu > IT Customer Services (ICS) menu > Request for Banner/Minerva training
JE16 Authorization form (System Access Forms)
Contact the Finance Help Desk at 514-398-3463 or send us an fishelp.acct [at] mcgill.ca (email)
|Budget access (only applies for 1A and 1B Operating funds)||Banner access (see above) + FIS 314/FIS320 |
|Budget Module Access request form||Contact the Analysis, Planning and Budget |
(Your Faculty Financial Officer/Budget Contact - Analysis, Planning and Budget will let you know if you need this type of access.)
For more information about Banner access, read our Knowledge Base article.
Data Warehouse Access
In addition to Minerva/Banner Finance access, you should also apply for Data Warehouse access. This will allow you to run the web and crystal report templates found in the Reporting section of this website.