Fund Financial Manager (FFMs) and Principal Investigator (PIs) are, by default, considered Approvers on financial transactions charged to their fund(s)/grant(s).
Roles & Responsibilities:
Approvers are responsible for ensuring that all financial transactions:
- Meet the objectives of the fund(s) charged.
- Are legitimate, reasonable and an appropriate use of funds/grants.
- Adhere to regulations, policies and guidelines.
- Comply with any restrictions imposed by external funding sources.
For further information on the role of a Fund Financial Manager, please refer to the Fund Financial Manager Policy.
Financial transactions can be approved by the FFM/PI electronically, by wet signature, email or Adobe Fill & Sign.
There are two options in lieu of wet signatures when approving/signing Financial Services’ documents & forms:
- Option 1 – Email Approvals & Acknowledgements
- Email approvals & acknowledgements can be used by Fund Financial Managers/Approvers/Claimants/Requestors.
- Please note: the email must include the acknowledgement clause found on the document or form (please cut & paste and insert in the email).
- Option 2 – Approving/Signing using Adobe Fill & Sign
- Financial Services’ documents & forms can be signed using the Adobe Fill & Sign feature.
- Please note: Fund Financial Managers/Approvers/Claimants/Requestors must either forward these Adobe signed documents via their McGill email address or must be copied (using their McGill email address) in the email including these Adobe signed documents.
- For Adobe Fill & Sign How To’s, please refer to: Fill and sign PDF forms
|Financial Transaction||Minerva Approval||Email/Adobe Fill & Sign/Wet Signature|
|Change Orders to Purchase Orders||Yes||N/A|
|Airfare FOAPAL Form||N/A||Yes|
|Adjustments on Past Payroll Transactions||Yes||N/A|
For Research Grants & Contracts, Principal Investigators are also required to approve the following documents/transactions:
|Document/Transaction||Minerva Approval||Email/Adobe Fill & Sign/Wet Signature|
|JE16s and Inter-Departmental Charges (IDCs)||N/A||Yes|
|uPrint (assigning FOAPALs to users)||N/A||Yes|
|Student Stipend Authorizations||N/A||Yes|
For all details, please refer to Retention of Supporting Documentation