If you are a medical student from another country and wish to do an elective at McGill University read our Family Medicine Electives for information on eligibility requirements and e-mail electives.med [at] mcgill.ca
If you are a third or fourth year medical student enrolled at McGill University and you wish to do a family medicine elective in another country, please read about Non-McGill (Away) Electives.
Medical students currently enrolled at McGill University can choose to work on a project in another country on their own time. For suggestions and guidance, please contact international.fammed [at] mcgill.ca.
The area of student exchange remains very active, and we continue to receive numerous requests from both McGill and international students.
Placement Opportunities for Students
The Department of Family Medicine, Aga Khan University (AKU), welcomes McGill students and family medicine residents interested in working in a unique family medicine practice that is based in an urban yet relatively lower resource setting.
- S.I.H.A (Student’s International Health Association): SIHA is a student group based at the University of Alberta and open to all Canadian students. Current international projects include partnerships with Tanzania and Guyana.
- Young Professional Placement Program: The Young Professional Placement Program of the Canadian Society for International Health offers overseas volunteer work experience to young Canadian graduates interested in International Health initiatives. Duration of internships generally last for 6 months.
- Department of Foreign Affairs & International Trade: The DFAIT offers Canadians who are between the ages of 18-35 the opportunity to participate in internships and exchange programs (60 programs offered in 20 countries.)
- World University Service of Canada: Opportunities to volunteer and work overseas (South America, Asia and Africa) are available to College and University students in collaboration with “Students without Borders”. Placements range from 2 to 4 months.
- International Federation of Medical Students’ Association-Quebec Chapter: Elective opportunities in South America and Africa. Duration of placement varies between 4 to 8 weeks.