Proposed Title: Administrative Coordinator
Hours per week: (Full-time) 28-35 hrs per week, depending on applicant availabilities
Salary Scale: $21.85 - $24.59
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides administrative support for the principal investigator (PI) and the research coordinator. Acts as initial resource person for the research team’s policies and procedures.
- Participates in ensuring the smooth functioning of the research team.
- Coordinates meetings including scheduling, agenda preparation, taking and distributing minutes and follows through on any decisions taken at meetings. Acts as recording secretary at meetings where appropriate.
- Coordinates, drafts and proofreads annual reports, correspondence and other documents, in English and in French.
- Formats documents such as abstracts, graphs, posters.
- Administers and maintains the research team’s funds (Canadian and international research funds). This includes reconciling funds monthly, processing invoices and expense reports. Investigates discrepancies and ensuring that problems are dealt with. Maintains accurate financial records for auditing purposes. Conforms with standards set by auditors on how accounts are to be kept. If and when auditors require information, ensures that it is provided in a timely fashion ensuring that what is required is provided.
- Communicates with Accounting Department, Human Resources (HR) and the Payroll Office at the Lady Davis Institute (LDI), Jewish General Hospital.
- Assists in initiating HR and finance-related paperwork (i.e. appointment forms, expense reports, and HR and payroll requirements for students, research staff, and stipends for MSc, PhD and postdoctoral fellows, etc.). Attends LDI information meetings as necessary.
- Is responsible for handling the PI’s agenda. Sets up appointments and acts upon own initiative to ensure that necessary information/documentation is available to the PI prior to the meeting. • Handles all travel logistics for the PI. Upon return, initiates all expense reports and any related follow up required.
- Keeps up-to-date with new software, and especially new accounting and financial procedures. Attends training sessions and workshops. • Is responsible for ordering and controlling research team supplies (laptops, refreshments for meetings, and other such items). Arranges for servicing of office equipment.
- Arranges for archiving of files as necessary (e.g. Dropbox, ethics consent forms, LDI server).
- Screens and sorts mail. Ensures that supporting documents are attached before transmitting to the PI. Answers PI’s e-mails, as indicated, follows up on enquiries made.
- Participates to the development and maintenance of the website in collaboration with the KT director ensuring information is kept accurate and up-to-date.
- Up-dates the PI’s CV regularly using UniWeb and the Canadian Common CV.
- Prepares application for ethics review boards.
- Contributes to the overall quality of research (eg. prepares data collection, quality control).
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- DEP (Secretarial/Office Systems) or equivalent
- Two (2) years' related experience
- OTHER QUALIFYING SKILLS AND/OR ABILITIES:
- Fluent in English and working proficiency of French, spoken and written.
- Demonstrated ability to work in MS Office and Adobe.
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team.
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism and discretion.
- Proven experience dealing with a variety of high-profile external and internal clients and the ability to build constructive and effective relationships.
- Proven experience with administering complex, multi-faceted agendas.
- Ability to prioritize multiple requests, including the ability to conduct a comprehensive evaluation of issues, to determine priorities and meet deadlines.
- Attention to detail. • Demonstrated ability to resolve problems.
- Excellent organizational and effective communication skills; proven ability to compose, proofread and edit correspondence and reports using appropriate spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Proven flexibility to adapt to frequent changes and demands.
- Experience with event planning.
HOW TO APPLY
Send your application to Dr. Isabelle Vedel by isabelle.vedel [at] mcgill.ca (e-mail) with the subject “Administrative Coordinator Application”.
When applying, please make sure that your cover letter, CV, and the names and contact information of two references are saved in ONE document in Microsoft Word or PDF format only.