Assistant Professor of Orthopedic Surgery, McGill University
Bone Regeneration Unit and Limb Reconstruction Center of Excellence, Shriners Hospitals for Children-Canada
Dr. Al-Jallad is an Assistant Professor of Surgery, Division of Orthopedic and Experimental Surgery at McGill University and a researcher at the Shriners Hospitals for Children, McGill University. She obtained her B.Sc. in Medical Technology and Laboratory Sciences in 1999 from Applied Science University in Amman, Jordan. She received her Doctor of Philosophy degree in 2012 in Craniofacial Health Sciences from the Faculty of Dentistry at McGill University. Dr. Al-Jallad’s research interests focus on exploiting a multidisciplinary approach to regenerate bone and soft tissue by using cell- and cell free-based technologies.
My research program focuses on studying the role of bone extracellular matrix (ECM) proteins and extracellular vesicles (EVs) in skeletal development, health, and disease, with an interest in rare bone diseases (ex, osteogenesis imperfecta; OI). My overall goal is to understand how ECM organization and cell-ECM trafficking, facilitated by EVs, contribute to bone diseases so that we can devise innovative personalized diagnostic and therapeutic strategies. Towards that goal, I employ a wide range of cellular and molecular biology techniques, including animal models, in combination with cutting-edge proteomics and computational analyses.
- Studying novel ECM proteins which are elevated in EVs derived from OI osteoblasts compared to that in EV derived from healthy osteoblasts
- Characterizing ECM properties (i.e. organization)
- Understanding novel OI pathophysiology
- Identifying therapeutic targets for the treatment of rare bone diseases
Vision for Future Projects:
- Study bone fractures at a cellular level by identifying the immunophenotypic signature of the tissue constituents at the sites of non-union
- Induce non-osteogenic cells into cells exhibiting osteoblast-like phenotypes
- Promote fracture healing and tissue augmentation, and reduce revision surgeries
Email: haljallad [at] shriners.mcgill.ca
Tel: 514-842-4464 ext 2210