It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all required documents, paper and electronic, are received at the Faculty of Medicine Research Office, McIntyre Medical Sciences building, room 637, by the required date. Late, incomplete or handwritten applications will not be considered.
Internal Studentships are open to highly qualified Faculty of Medicine graduate students who are registered full-time in a research training program leading to an MSc or PhD degree.
Students who apply for a Faculty of Medicine Internal Studentship are automatically considered for every award for which they are eligible.
Eligibility: Internal Studentships
To be eligible for the studentship competition:
- Students must be registered full-time in a Faculty of Medicine graduate research training program.
- At the time of application, student must be in MSc1 for Masters level students or between PhD1 and PhD4 for Doctoral level students.
- Successful applicants must be registered at McGill University when applying and for the duration of the award.
- Students may not hold more than three years of Faculty of Medicine Internal Studentship funding.
- Applicants are required to apply to external and internal funding sources for which they are eligible. Priority will be given to excellent students who are not eligible for other external funding.
- Internal Studentships are not automatically renewable. However, recipients are eligible to submit a new application to the full competition in subsequent years.
- MD/PhD students are not eligible to apply for Faculty of Medicine Internal Studentships. They should consult the Director of the MD/PhD program regarding funding for which they are eligible.
- Residents receiving remuneration from the RAMQ while pursuing a Masters or PhD degree are not eligible to apply to the Faculty of Medicine Internal Studentships program.
- A supervisor must be a Professor, Associate Professor or an Assistant Professor.
Number of awards
A supervisor cannot have more than two applicants apply to the Studentship or Postdoctoral Fellowship program at any time. (i.e. 1 Internal Studentship + 1 internal Postdoctoral Fellowship applicant; 2 Internal Studentships applicants; or 2 Internal Postdoctoral Fellowship applicants).
Value and duration of support
Internal Studentships are tenable for one year starting September 1, 2012. The Faculty of Medicine contribution for an MSc student is $10,000 and for a PhD student is $12,000. Supervisors are expected to supplement funded applicants with a minimum contribution of $8,000.
Friends of McGill Fellowships are tenable for one year starting September 1 and valued at $10,000 each, renewable once.
- Late, incomplete or handwritten applications will not be considered.
- No additional pages are allowed, except where specifically indicated.
- Applicants are not to provide a separate CV.
- Applicants must provide a copy of their complete university academic record to date, including undergraduate transcripts. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. Please arrange transcripts in chronological order starting with the most recent. International transcripts must be in English or French.
- The application must be submitted electronically as a single PDF file
- Only the current version of the application form will be accepted.
- The file is to be named as follows: LastName_FirtsName_studentship.pdf (e.g. Smith_John_studentship.pdf) and sent by email to submitgrad.med [at] mcgill.ca.
FOR MORE INFORMATION and THE APPLICATION CHECKLIST PLEASE VISIT Faculty of Medicine Research and Graduate Studies Office