Lawrence Lee, MD PhD joined the MUHC division of General Surgery as a Colon and Rectal Surgeon in 2017. His main speciality clinical interests relate to the treatment of colorectal neoplasia and inflammatory bowel disease. In particular, Dr. Lee specializes in advanced minimally invasive and endoluminal approaches to the treatment of colorectal disease using flexible endoscopy, transanal endoscopic surgery, and Transanal Total Mesorectal Excision (TA-TME).
His research interests include health technology assessment and comparative effectiveness research for surgical technologies and innovations, with emphasis on the practice of colorectal surgery. Other areas of research include perioperative assessment, and functional and patient-reported outcomes after major abdominal surgery.
Dr. Lee completed his General Surgery residency at McGill during which time he completed an MSc in Epidemiology and a PhD in Healthcare Economics. He then completed a Colon and Rectal Surgery Fellowship at Florida Hospital in Orlando, FL. He is the recipient of the SAGES Researcher-in-Training award, amongst other national and international prizes and scholarships for his research and clinical work.
Dr. Lee is a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada in General Surgery and Colorectal Surgery, and a diplomate of the American Board of Surgery, American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery, and holds a specialist certificate from the Collège des Médecins du Québec.
- Lee L, Feldman LS. Enhanced Recovery After Surgery: Economic Impact and Value. Surg Clin North Am. 2018 Dec;98(6):1137-1148. doi: 10.1016/j.suc.2018.07.003. Epub 2018 Aug 24. Review. PubMed PMID: 30390848.
- Lee L, McKendy KM. Management of Trauma to the Rectum and Anus. Dis Colon Rectum. 2018 Nov;61(11):1245-1248. doi: 10.1097/DCR.0000000000001221. PubMed PMID: 30286021.
- Lee L, Erkan A, Alhassan N, Kelly JJ, Nassif GJ, Albert MR, Rt Monson J. Lower survival after right-sided versus left-sided colon cancers: Is an extended lymphadenectomy the answer? Surg Oncol. 2018 Sep;27(3):449-455. doi:10.1016/j.suronc.2018.05.031. Epub 2018 May 29. PubMed PMID: 30217301.
- Alhassan N, Yang M, Wong-Chong N, Liberman AS, Charlebois P, Stein B, Fried GM, Lee L. Comparison between conventional colectomy and complete mesocolic excision for colon cancer: a systematic review and pooled analysis : A review of CME versus conventional colectomies. Surg Endosc. 2018 Sep 12. doi: 10.1007/s00464-018-6419-2. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 30209606.
- Alam R, Figueiredo SM, Balvardi S, Nauche B, Landry T, Lee L, Mayo NE, Feldman LS, Fiore JF Jr. Development of a patient-reported outcome measure of recovery after abdominal surgery: a hypothesized conceptual framework. Surg Endosc. 2018 Dec;32(12):4874-4885. doi: 10.1007/s00464-018-6242-9. Epub 2018 May 17. PubMed PMID: 29777351.
- Lee L, de Lacy B, Gomez Ruiz M, Liberman AS, Albert MR, Monson JRT, Lacy A, Kim SH, Atallah SB. A Multicenter Matched Comparison of Transanal and Robotic Total Mesorectal Excision for Mid and Low-rectal Adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg. 2018 Jun 18. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0000000000002862. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 29916871.
Clinical interests: colorectal cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, and advanced endoscopy