This version of the McGill Department of English, Undergraduate Studies site is deprecated but has been preserved for archival reasons. The information on this site is not up to date and should not be consulted. Students, faculty, and staff should consult the new site using the link below.
The Surveys of English Literature provide an overview of the development of British Literature from the Anglo-Saxon period to the present. Survey 1 (English 202) covers literature from the period of Beowulf to the end of the eighteenth century; Survey 2 (English 203) addresses literature from the late eighteenth century to the twentieth century. Only those Advanced Placement courses that provide comparable historical coverage of British literature can be considered equivalent to the Surveys. If the AP courses you have taken resemble those whose syllabi are provided below, an exemption from either 202, 203, or both, might be possible. If you would like to seek such an exemption, please see the Director of Undergraduate Studies.
Sample course descriptions follow:
ENGL 202 Departmental Survey of English Literature 1
- Prerequisite: Not open to students who have taken ENGL 200. Open only to students in English programs.
- This course is a historical survey of English literature from the Old and Middle English periods through the Renaissance and up to the mid-eighteenth century, ending with Alexander Pope and Jonathan Swift.
- Text: The Norton Anthology of English Literature, vol.1
ENGL 203 Departmental Survey of English Literature 2
- Prerequisite: ENGL 202. Not open to students who have taken ENGL 201
- A survey of English Literature from the years just after the French Revolution to the early twentieth century, with particular emphasis on poetry. We will pay close attention to the constructs of Romanticism, Victorianism, Aestheticism, and Modernism that have traditionally governed the periodization and study of literature covered by this course. Course theme, 2003-4: Community and its Discontents.
- Text: The Norton Anthology of English Literature, vol.2