McGill University Department of English
853 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, QC H3A 0G5 CANADA
B.A. Honours (McGill); M.A. (Brown University); Ph.D. (City University of New York); Associate Professor
Quebecois theatre and cultural performance; national performatives; theatre historiography; performance studies; dramatic theory; 20th century theatre; feminist and LGBTQ theatre.
University of British Columbia; Brown University.
- Pierre Savard Award, International Council for Canadian Studies, 2011-2012.
- Distinguished Visiting Fellow, Queen Mary University of London, Department of Drama, June 2012.
- Ann Saddlemyer Award, Canadian Association for Theatre Research, 2011.
- Northeast Modern Language Association Book Award, 2009.
- “Special Mention,” Jean-Cléo Godin prize committee, Canadian Association for Theatre Research, 2008.
- SSHRC Standard Research Grant, 2008-2011.
- UBC Scholar, Centre for Research in Women’s Studies and Gender Relations, 2002 – 2003.
- (with Jennifer Harvie) ATHE Essay in Criticism Award, 2000.
National Performance: Representing Quebec from Expo 67 to Céline Dion. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2011. Look at its description online.
- Read review in CTR [pdf]
- Read review in Canadian Literature
- Read review in Theatre Survey [pdf]
- Read review in Spirale [pdf]
- Read review in Alt.Theatre [pdf]
See media coverage:
- Journal de Montréal: Celine Dion, personnalité emblematique du Quebec
- Montreal Gazette: McGill prof advocates study Céline
- Montreal Gazette: Celine Dion is an ambiguous figure in quebec culture says McGill prof
- etalk video clip
Theatre & Feeling. Foreword Anne Bogart. Series "Theatre & . . ." Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, July 2010. Look at its description online.
Special Journal Issues:
Erin Hurley and Sara Warner, eds. “Affect, Performance, Politics,” special dossier of The Journal of Dramatic Theory and Criticism XXVI: 2 (Spring 2012).
Co-editor, with Will Straw, special dossier, "Are We American?" Québec Studies 48 (Fall 2009/Winter 2010): 3 - 66.
Directrice, numéro spécial sur “Les arts de la scène,” Globe. Revue internationale d’études québécoises 11:2 (Fall 2008).
Erin Hurley and Sara Warner, “Affect, Performance, Politics.” The Journal of Dramatic Theory and Criticism XXVI: 2 (Spring 2012). 99 – 107.
“Performance Studies in Canada.” Canadian Theatre Review 149 (Winter 2012): 84-7.
“Companioned Solos: Nathalie Claude’s “Madness Trilogy”. Canadian Theatre Review 149 (Winter 2012): 22-6.
“What Consolation? Incendies on stage and screen” alt.theatre: cultural diversity and the stage 8:3 (March 2011): 23-28.
"Céline Dion à Las Vegas, ou les affects de la simulation." Trad. Isabelle Léger. L'Annuaire théâtral 45 (Printemps 2009 [published Spring 2010]): 21-44.
"Original Versions: 'L'affaire Nancy Huston' and Authorized Performance." Changing the Subject: Marvin Carlson and Theatre Studies 1959 - 2009. Ed. Joseph Roach. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2009. 261-77.
“Le Cirque: de la différance à la ressemblance.” Spirale. No. 227 (July/August 2009): 24-8.
“Celine Dion’s Las Vegas Aesthetics,” Revista Mexicana de Estudios Canadienses (Fall/Winter 2008): 113-121.
“Les corps multiples du Cirque du Soleil,” Traduit de l’anglais par Isabelle Léger. Globe. Revue internationale d’études québécoises 11:2 (Fall 2008): 135-157.
“Theatre as National Export: On Being and Passing in the United States.” Reprinted in Spaces and the Geographies of Canadian Theatre, Ed. Michael McKinnie. Toronto: Playwrights Canada Press, 2007, 174-193.
“Blackout: Utopian Technologies in Adrienne Kennedy's Funnyhouse of a Negro” Modern Drama 47:2 (Summer 2004): 200-18
(with Jennifer Harvie) “States of Play: Locating Québec in the Performances of Robert Lepage, Ex Machina and the Cirque du Soleil,” Theatre Journal 51 (1999): 299-315.
Series co-editor with Patrick Lonergan, Methuen Drama Critical Companions. http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/series/critical-companions
Editor, Book Reviews, Theatre Research in Canada / Recherches théâtrales au Canada http://journals.hil.unb.ca/index.php/TRIC
Editor, The Theatre of Affect (Essays), Volume 4 in the New Essays on Canadian Theatre series, Gen. Ed. Ric Knowles. Toronto: Playwrights Canada Press, forthcoming 2014.
Editor, The Theatre of Affect (Plays). Toronto: Playwrights Canada Press, forthcoming 2014.
Research Group Memberships:
Groupe de recherche interdisciplinaire sur Montréal/Montreal Interdisciplinary Research Group, McGill University
Montreal Working Group on circus/cirque, http://resonance.hexagram.ca/circus, 2010 -
Memory and Representations of the Past in Quebec and Ireland, (FQRSC and IRCHSS [Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences]), 2010-12.