The McGill Faculty of Engineering is committed to increasing the diversity of the Canadian workforce by increasing the number of underrepresented populations in the engineering profession. As part of our efforts to encourage, mentor, support and enhance the preparation of tomorrow’s diverse leaders, the Faculty has created the Indigenous and Black Engineering and Technology Momentum (IBET) Fellowship to attract and financially support domestic applicants who identify as Indigenous* or Black.
This prestigious Fellowship will provide financial support of $30,000 per year for 4 years for McGill University recipients. This funding support will allow recipients to pursue advanced degrees and undertake both traditional and/or non-traditional areas of research without incurring financial hardship.
This Fellowship is intended to help build and support an equitable environment that is reflective of Canada’s population and reconcile the under-representation of Indigenous and Black scholars at McGill University. An integral component of the IBET Momentum Fellowship will be access to mentorship and community-wide support.
*For the purposes of this Fellowship, an Indigenous person is a person who self-identifies as First Nations (Status/Non-Status), Métis, or Inuit as defined in the Canadian Constitution Act 1982.
- To be eligible for this award applicants must:
- Be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada who self-identify as being Indigenous* or Black;
- Meet the minimum admission requirements (normally a cumulative GPA of 3.0) for their chosen Faculty of Engineering Ph.D. program;
- Be admitted into the Ph.D. program in Fall 2021 or later;
- Direct entry (from Bachelors) Ph.D. applicants may also be considered for the Fellowship.
- Candidates should indicate to their Ph.D. supervisor that they are eligible for the IBET MEDA; supervisors will submit nominations to the Faculty during the MEDA selection process (February and November each year)
- Candidates will be selected on the basis of combined undergraduate + Masters CGPA (or undergraduate GPA only for direct entry candidates)
Have questions? Please contact graduatestudies.engineering [at] mcgill.ca