Docteur h.c, Ph.D., D.Sc., F.R.S.C., P.Eng., Cmath
William Scott Professor and Distinguished James McGill Professor
Dr. A.P.S. Selvadurai is currently William Scott Professor and Distinguished James McGill Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering and Applied Mechanics. He obtained his Ph.D. degree in Theoretical Mechanics from the University of Nottingham, under the tutelage of the eminent continuum mechanicist the late Professor A.J.M. Spencer FRS, for research in the area of “Non-linear Elasticity” and in 1986 the D.Sc. in Theoretical Mechanics for research into “Mathematical Modelling of Problems in Geomechanics and Elastomechanics”. He joined the Department of Civil Engineering at Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada in 1975 as Assistant Professor, became Professor in 1981 and Head of the Department from 1982 to 1991. In 1993, he was invited by McGill University to become Chair of the Department of Civil Engineering and Applied Mechanics, a position he held until 1997. He has held Visiting Professorships at The University of Nottingham - U.K, Universität Stuttgart, Germany, The Laboratoire 3S-R, Université Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, France; The Department of Civil Engineering, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand; The Department of Civil and Structural Engineering, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, China; The School of Civil Engineering, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia, Departement de Genie Civil, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland, The Department of Civil Engineering and Geosciences of the Technical University Delft, The Netherlands, A CAPES Visiting Professor at The Department of Civil Engineering, Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and a Visiting Professor at the Laboratoire des Sciences de l’Ingénieur pour l’Environnement (LaSIE), Université La Rochelle, France.
In 1991, Dr. Selvadurai received the Inaugural Horst Leipholz Medal of the Canadian Society of Civil Engineering and in 1993 the Engineering Medal for Research and Development of The Professional Engineers of Ontario. In 1998, Dr. Selvadurai received the Humboldt Forschungspreis (Humboldt Foundation of Germany), given to internationally acclaimed scientists and engineers. In 2000, he became the first civil engineer to be awarded the Killam Research Fellowship Canada Council for the Arts, one of Canada’s most distinguished research awards. In 2001 he was awarded the Inaugural John Booker Medal of the International Association for Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics-IACMAG. In 2003 he received the prestigious Max Planck Forschungspreis in the Engineering Sciences. In 2007, he was awarded the Killam Prize in Engineering from the Canada Council for the Arts and the Gold Medal of the Canadian Congresses of Applied Mechanics. In 2008 he received the IACMAG Medal for Outstanding Accomplishments in Geomechanics. In 2010, he was awarded the ALERT Research Medal, by the Alliance of Laboratories in Europe for Research and Technology. In 2013, he was awarded the Eric Reissner Medal of the ICCES and the Maurice A. Biot Medal of the ASCE. In 2017 he was awarded the C.S. Desai Medal of the IACMAG for outstanding contributions to computational geomechanics. In 2019, he received a Humboldt Forschungspreisträger (Re-invitation) to the University of Stuttgart, Germany.
He has published over 317 research papers in archival journals devoted to applied mechanics, geomechanics and applied mathematics, transport in porous media and computational mechanics and more than 330 articles in refereed international and national conferences. He has received Outstanding Paper Awards of the IACMAG in 1994, 1997 and 2011. He is the author or co-author of texts devoted to Elastic Analysis of Soil-Foundation Interaction (Elsevier, 1979), Elasticity and Geomechanics (with R.O. Davis) (Cambridge University Press, 1996), Partial Differential Equations in Mechanics, Vols. 1&2 (Springer-Verlag, 2000), Plasticity and Geomechanics (with R.O. Davis) (Cambridge University Press, 2002), Transport in Porous Media. Aspects of Micro/Macro Behaviour (with Yasuaki Ichikawa) (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2012) and Thermo-poroelasticity and Geomechanics (with A.P. Suvorov) (Cambridge University Press, 2016). He has also edited or co-edited 9 books and 7 Special Issues of International Journals with peer review, devoted to nuclear waste disposal, environmental geomechanics, mathematics and mechanics of granular media, theoretical solid mechanics and contact mechanics. He serves on the Editorial Boards of nine leading International Journals devoted to Geomechanics, Applied Mechanics, Computational Mechanics and Engineering Mathematics. Dr. Selvadurai is a Fellow of the Engineering Institute of Canada, American Academy of Mechanics, Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, The Institute for Mathematics and its Applications and the Canadian Academy of Engineering. In 2007, he was elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada. In 2012 he was awarded the degree of Docteur Honoris Causa by the Institut Polytechnique de Grenoble, France, an award made by the Ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur et de la recherché only every five years.
Docteur h.c. (Environmental Geomechanics, Institut Polytechnique de Grenoble, 2012)
D.Sc. (Theoretical Mechanics, University of Nottingham, UK, 1986)
Ph.D. (Theoretical Mechanics, University of Nottingham, UK, 1971)
MS (Civil Engineering, Stanford University, CA, USA, 1967)
DIC (Soil Mechanics, Imperial College, London University, 1965)
Applied mechanics and mathematics
CIVE 311: Geotechnical Mechanics (4 Credits)
CIVE 684: Course not available
- HUMBOLDT FORSCHUNGS-PREISTRAGER (Re-Invitation), Alexander von Humboldt Stiftung, Bonn, Germany, 2019
- CHANDRAKANT S DESAI MEDAL, for Outstanding Contributions to the Development of Geomechanics: International Association for Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics, Wuhan, China, 2017
- MAURICE A. BIOT MEDAL, American Society of Civil Engineers, Engineering Mechanics Institute, 2013
- ERIC REISSNER MEDAL, International Conference on Computational and Experimental Engineering & Sciences, 2013
- ALERT MEDAL, Alliance of Laboratories in Europe for Research and Technology, 2010.
- IACMAG MEDAL for Outstanding Accomplishments in Theoretical, Computational and Experimental Geomechanics, 2008. •KILLAM PRIZE FOR ENGINEERING, Canada Council for the Arts, 2007.
- GOLD MEDAL, 21st Canadian Congress of Applied Mechanics, 2007.
- MAX PLANCK FORSCHUNGS-PREISTRAGER, The Max Planck Gesellschaft, Berlin, Germany, 2004-2009.
- KILLAM RESEARCH FELLOW, Canada Council for the Arts, 2000-2002.
- THE BOOKER MEDAL, International Association for Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics, 2001.
- HUMBOLDT FORSCHUNGS-PREISTRAGER, Alexander von Humboldt Stiftung,Bonn, Germany, 1998-2001.
- CNRS FELLOW, Laboratoire Structures, Sols, Solides, Univ. Joseph Fourier, France, 1998.
- ERSKINE FELLOW, The University of Canterbury, Christchurch, N.Z., 1998.
- PAPER PRIZE, Computational and Analytical Theory Category, International Association for Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics, 1997.
- SIGNIFICANT PAPER AWARD, International Association for Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics, 1994.
- ENGINEERING MEDAL FOR RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT, Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario, 1993.
- ERSKINE FELLOW, The University of Canterbury, Christchurch, N.Z., 1992.
- LEIPHOLZ MEDAL, 1991. (Awarded for the Best Paper in Engineering Mechanics Published in the Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering).
- CNRS FELLOW, Inst. Mecanique de Grenoble, Univ. Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, France, 1991
- RESEARCH ACHIEVEMENT AWARD, Carleton University, 1990.
- RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP IN THEORETICAL MECHANICS, Science and Engineering Research Council, University of Nottingham, U.K., 1969 1970.
- KING GEORGE VI MEMORIAL FELLOWSHIP, Stanford University, Fellowship Awarded by the English Speaking Union of the Commonwealth, 1965.
- Fellow, Royal Society of Canada (2007)
- Fellow, Canadian Academy of Engineering (2005)
- Fellow, Engineering Institute of Canada (1990)
- Fellow, Canadian Society for Civil Engineering (1989)
- Fellow, American Academy of Mechanics, USA (1987)
- Fellow, Institute of Mathematics and its Applications, UK (1984)
- KEYNOTE LECTURE, GEOMEAST 2019 Thermo-Hydro-Mechanical Processes in Complex Rocks: The role of Multi-Scale Approaches, 3RD International Congress and Exhibition on Sustainable Civil Engineering Infrastructures, Cairo, Egypt.
- PLENARY LECTURE, SIPS 2019 Mechanics and Loss of Hyperelasticity of Geosynthetics Subjected to Chemical Exposure, Sustainable, Industrial Processing Summit, Paphos, Cyprus (2019).
- PLENARY LECTURE, FDM 2019, 18th International Conference on Fracture and Damage Mechanics, Rhodos, Greece (2019).
- KEYNOTE LECTURE, ICAMSE 2019, AMSE International Conference on Advanced Materials in Science and Engineering, Osaka, Japan (2019).
- INVITED LECTURER IN GEOMECHANICS, 2019 International Summer School, Northeastern University, Shenyang, China (2019).
- KEYNOTE LECTURE, COGGUS2, Computational & Geoenvironmental Geomechanics for Underground Structures, Nancy, France, (2019).
- INVITED PLENARY LECTURER, Engineering Mechanics Institute International Conference, INSA-Lyon, France (2019).
- INAUGURAL AJM SPENCER FRS MEMORIAL LECTURE, The Faculty of Engineering and the School of Mathematics, The University of Nottingham, UK, (2018).
- KEYNOTE LECTURE, GDRI ANNUAL WORKSHOP, Universite La Rochelle, France, (2018).
- FEATURE LECTURE, International Symposium on Computational Geomechanics, COMGEO IV, Assisi, Italy (2018).
- INVITED PLENARY SPEAKER, 6TH BIOT CONFERENCE ON POROMECHANICS École Nationale des Ponts et Chausées, Paris, France, (2017).
- INVITED PLENARY LECTURER, Engineering Mechanics Institute International Conference, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, (2017).
- INVITED KEYNOTE SPEAKER, Third International Conference on Science, Engineering and the Environment, Brisbane, Australia (2017).
- INVITED DISTINGUISHED LECTURE, Sri Lanka Association of the Institution of Civil Engineers, Colombo, Sri Lanka (2017).
- INVITED KEYNOTE SPEAKER, Celebration of the 80th anniversary of the Laboratoire Mecanique des Sols, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Switzerland (2016).
- INVITED PLENARY SPEAKER, International Geotechnics Symposium cum International Meeting of the Chinese Society for Rock Mechanics, 14th Biennial National Congress, Hong Kong, China (2016).
- PLENARY LECTURE AT THE 36TH CILAMCE, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (2015).
- KEYNOTE SPEAKER, Workshop on the Challenge of Studying Low Permeability Materials: Laboratory, In Situ AND Numerical Methods, CERGY-Pontoise, Paris, France (2014).
- JORJ O. OSTERBERG LECTURE, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, USA, 2013.
- MAURICE A BIOT LECTURE, Department of Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics, Columbia University, NY, USA, 2012.
- KEYNOTE LECTURE, 4th International Congress on Computational Mechanics and Simulation, Hyderabad, India, 2012
- SEMI-PLENARY LECTURE, 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics, São Paulo, Brazil, 2012.
- PLENARY LECTURE, IACMAG'11 International Conference on Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics , Melbourne, Australia, 2011. •LEAD LECTURES AT NUMOG and COMGEO CONFERENCES: Dubrovnik, Croatia (2011).
- ALERT INVITED LECTURE, Alliance of Laboratories in Europe for Research and Technology, Aussois, France, 2010. •JOHN ADJELEIAN LECTURE, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada , 2010.
- PLENARY LECTURE, 12thInternational Conference on Fracture, Ottawa, Canada, 2009.
- INVITED GUEST SPEAKER, EPFL Mechanics Day, Lausanne, Switzerland, 2009.
- LEAD LECTURES AT NUMOG and COMGEO CONFERENCES: Nice, France (2009)
- DISTINGUISHED LECTURE IN HYDROLOGICAL SCIENCES, 5th Annual Meeting of the Asia Oceania Geosciences Society, Busan, Korea, 2008.
- PLENARY LECTURE, 45th Society of Engineering Science Annual Technical Meeting, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA, 2008.
- WILLIAM MONG DISTINGUISHED LECTURER, The University of Hong Kong, China, 2007 •LEAD LECTURES AT NUMOG and COMGEO CONFERENCES:Rhodes, Greece (2007)
- PLENARY LECTURE, 9th International Conference on Integral Methods in Science and Engineering, Niagara Falls, Canada, 2006.
- OVERVIEW LECTURE, IACMAG '05 , International Conference on Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics, Turin, Italy, 2005.
- LEAD LECTURES AT NUMOG and COMGEO CONFERENCES: Ottawa, Canada (2004)
- KEYNOTE LECTURES AT CONTACT MECHANICS CONFERENCES, Crete, Greece (2003).
- LEAD LECTURES AT NUMOG and COMGEO CONFERENCES: Rome, Italy (2002)
- KEYNOTE LECTURES AT CONTACT MECHANICS CONFERENCES, Seville, Spain (2001)
- THEME LECTURES AT IACMAG CONFERENCES: Morgantown, W. VA, USA (1994), Wuhan, China (1997), Tucson, AZ, USA (2001).
- KEYNOTE LECTURE, Golden Jubilee Conference of the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, 2001.
- KEYNOTE LECTURE, 1st International Conference on Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering in the Management of Arid Lands, UAE, 2000.
- KEYNOTE LECTURE, 21st Latin American-Iberian Conference on Computational Mechanics Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 2000.
- KEYNOTE LECTURES AT CONTACT MECHANICS CONFERENCES, Stuttgart, Germany (1999)
- LEAD LECTURES AT NUMOG and COMGEO CONFERENCES:Graz, Austria (1999)
- DISTINGUISHED LECTURE ON SOLIDS, Hong Kong Society of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Hong Kong, China, 1998.
- KEYNOTE LECTURES AT CONTACT MECHANICS CONFERENCES, Madrid, Spain (1997)
- LEAD LECTURES AT NUMOG and COMGEO CONFERENCES: Davos, Switzerland (1995)
- LEAD LECTURES AT NUMOG and COMGEO CONFERENCES: Swansea, UK (1992).
- DAVIDSON DUNTON RESEARCH LECTURER, Carleton University, 1987.
- DISTINGUISHED LECTURER, University of Nevada, Reno, 1985.
- Multi-phase transport in porous media
- Thermally induced flows in fractured geological media
- Mechanics of soil-pipeline interaction
- Mechanics of ice-structure interaction
- Thermo-hydro-mechanical processes in porous media
- Damage mechanics for poroelastic materials
- Mechanics of brittle fragmentation
- Mechanics of membranes subject to chemical damage
- Mathematical modelling of large strain phenomena
- Fracture initiation in contact problems
- Integral equation methods in elasticity
- Fluid flow in evolving fractures
- Coupled problems in geo-environmental transport processes
- Symbolic methods for partial differential equations
- Transient methods for evaluating hydraulic conductivity
- Contact and inclusion problems in elasticity
- Non-homogeneity in elasticity and plasticity
- Consultant, Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (1990-Present)
- Consultant to Canadian Nuclear Fuel Waste Management Program, Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (1983-1997)
- Member, External Peer Review Panel, Center for Nuclear Waste Regulatory Analysis, Southwest Research Institute, San Antonio, Texas (1995)
- Consultant in Computational Geomechanics, Centre for Frontier Engineering Research, Alberta (1990-1992)
- Consultant, Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (1985-1998)
- Consultant, Aéroports de Montréal (1997-Present)
- Consultant in Environmental Geomechanics, Shell Canada, Montreal, QC (1999-2000)
- External Reviewer, Ontario Council of Graduate Studies (2002)
- Consultant in Soil Dynamics, Dessau Soprin, Montreal, QC (2003)
- Site Visit Committee, NSERC Chair, Université Laval (2003)
- Consultant in Ice Mechanics, Hydro-Quebec, Montreal, QC (2004)
- Consultant in Computational Multiphysics of THM Processes, Nuclear Waste Management Organization, Ontario Power Generation (2008-Present)