The ABCs of the PhD is a unique professional seminar series sponsored by the Faculty of Education and open to all graduate students at McGill University. It is one of a kind at McGill University as the initiative is run by students for students with the aim to support peers through the PhD journey.
Typically, sessions are held during the academic year and schedules are posted at the beginning of each term. Through Montreal community members, McGill Faculty, Staff, and student guest speakers the seminar series is unique in that it covers topics that you may not find in typical course work (e.g., Navigating Conferences and Publications, Post-PhD Career Choices, and Health and Wellness during the PhD).
The following sessions will be held in 2017-2018:
- September 2017 Funding Session [event page] [view/download PDF]
- October 3, 2017 Building your Academic Profile: The Importance of Publications and Conferences [event page]
- November 21, 2017 Transitioning from PhD to post-PhD [event page]
- January 2018 Navigating through Pre-Comps, Post-Comps, and Preparing for your Dissertation
- February 2018 The PhD Timeline, February 2nd, 2018, 12 noon, EDU-233 [event page]
- March 2018 Transitioning from PhD to post-PhD: Alumni Networking Event [event page]
- April 2018: Self Care During Your PhD [event page]
Should you have any questions about the session topics or speakers, please feel free to contact Dorelle Hinton (KPE, dorelle.hinton [at] mail.mcgill.ca), Milka Nyariro (DISE, milka.nyariro [at] mail.mcgill.ca), or Emma Clarke (ECP, emma.clarke2 [at] mail.mcgill.ca).