McGill's Faculty of Education strives to create inclusive and equitable environments for work and study, embracing diversity and encouraging dialogues. Though this is a work-in-progress, education plays a pivotal role in societal change and in helping to build bridges.
Land Acknowledgement"McGill University is situated on the traditional territory of the Kanien’kehà:ka, a place which has long served as a site of meeting and exchange amongst nations. We recognize and respect the Kanien’kehà:ka as the traditional custodians of the lands and waters on which we meet today."
Faculty of Education's Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Committee (FEEDIC)
Our Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Mandate
The main mandate of FEEDIC is to advance equity, diversity and inclusivity for students, Faculty and staff at the Faculty, particularly those from groups that have historically encountered or continue to face systemic barriers. As part of this mandate, the FEEDIQ will oversee diversity, equity and representativeness within the Faculty of Education.
Part of this mandate includes:
- Liaison with the EDI office at the office of the Provost to oversee diversity surveys to represent the Faculty’s reality and ensure appropriate conclusions can be drawn;
- Interpretation of Faculty diversity and equity data for advising the Dean’s office on procedural changes within the Faculty; and
- Oversight of relevant university equity and diversity policies, so they can properly enact at the level of the Faculty, when relevant to the Faculty’s strategic goals and requirements.
To advance its mandate, FEEDIC:
- works to identify systemic barriers to equity and inclusion at the departmental level, individual level, and community level;
- works to identify institutional solutions to advance diversity and inclusion;
- promotes the idea of addressing barriers with the vision to creating a different kind of faculty overall;
- liaises with University committees on issues related to equity, inclusion and diversity;
- promotes diversity at the Faculty in curricular and extracurricular activities (e.g. meetings and seminars); and
- maintains updated information about EDI in the Faculty of Education.
Term of Office
- Members shall be appointed for a period of two years, renewable once;
- Ex officio members shall be appointed for the duration of their term in the office for which ex officio participation has been mandated.
- Chair – appointed by the Dean
- 2 members from each department (appointed by the chair)
- 2 members of Education Undergraduate society (EDUS)
- 2 members of Education Graduate Students’ Society (EGSS)
- 2 staff members from Internship & Student Affairs (ISA) (appointed by the director)
- 1 staff member from the Faculty
- 1 Associate Dean
Overall, the committee should strive to represent McGill’s six equity groups. These include the four Federally Designated Groups (Women, Indigenous peoples, Persons with disabilities, and Racialized people/Visible minorities), with the addition of Ethnic minorities and 2SLGBTQIA* (Sexual orientation and gender identity minorities).
Meetings & Reporting
Meeting Frequency and Functioning
- 1.5 hours every 2 months, with the exception of the summer (5 meetings/year);
- Minutes, and reports shall be publicly accessible through the FEEDIC webpages on the Faculty of Education website;
- Meetings can only be held if quorum has been met. Quorum is defined as the presence of 50% + 1 members of the committee present at a meeting. Tele-participation through virtual meeting technologies shall be considered as indicative of presence at a meeting; and
- It is anticipated that, as needed, there could be sub-committees that would help to advance the work of FEEDIC.
- FEEDIC shall report to the Dean of the Faculty of Education; and
- Policies, procedures, and program development proposals ratified at the FEEDIC reported to Deanery.
EDI Action Plan
FEEDIC is currently working to finalize its action plan.