Check Out the Virtual Events Scheduled for Fall 2020!

Faculty of Education COVID-19 FAQs

Updated October 26, 2020

October 26, 2020: The information on the Faculty of Education’s COVID-19 FAQs webpage has been updated. Going forward only information pertinent to the Faculty of Education will be found here. For easy access, links to general information relevant to all McGill community members will be provided in the header of each section.



Jump to a Specific FAQ Section:

Campus Access

General information about the University’s COVID-19 response can be found on the University’s Coronavirus website and FAQs. The information below is applicable to the Faculty of Education.

Are buildings at the Faculty of Education open to staff and students?

Individuals are allowed to visit Faculty of Education buildings for item retrieval, small-scale activities and research. However, all visits must be approved and certain restrictions apply. See below for the relevant information.

How can I request access to pick up items from a Faculty of Education building?

Faculty of Education students and staff may access our buildings to retrieve items, both personal and professional. Examples of permissible work items include computer monitors, files, books, data, running shoes, plants, and ergonomic chairs purchased specifically for an employee. To be able to access a building to retrieve items, please fill out the following form: Faculty of Education Request for Item Retrieval. These requests are typically processed in 3 days.

Please note that no fines will be issued for late return of library books during the campus shutdown. No locks will be removed from lockers, and all personal belongings in the buildings will remain as you left them.

Can I come to campus to work in my office or in another room, for example, to hold a meeting [small-scale activity]?

Requests for on-campus activities only involving one person, such as working in one’s office for a few hours to conduct data analysis, prepare for class, record a lecture for class, or access the campus virtual private network (VPN) are referred to as an individual small-scale activity. Requests for on-campus activities involving more than one person, such as a meeting, are referred to as a group small-scale activity.

You may request access for a one-time or for a repeated individual small-scale activity. These requests must:

  • Not require rearrangement of workspaces or work processes
  • Not require any physical interventions (e.g. new plexiglass partitions)

To request an individual or a group small-scale activity:

  1. Fill out the form Faculty of Education: Request for Small-Scale Activities.
    • Card access will only be provided between the hours of 7:00 AM-7:00 PM. For that reason, please schedule your small-scale activities accordingly.
  2. Login to Minerva (Personal tab) and fill in the “Coronavirus (COVID-19) Self-Assessment for Students and Employees on campus
  3. Submit the form to your immediate supervisor and complete the form a second time and submit to degane.sougal [at] (under supervisor email).
  4. If you need a meeting room we will send you instructions after your small-scale activity has been approved.

These requests are typically processed in 3 days.

IMPORTANT: During periods of time when the Quebec Government identifies Montreal as a red alert level, we will suspend all group small-scale activities in Faculty of Education buildings. In addition, requests for an individual small-scale activity must justify that the work cannot be done efficiently remotely.

Can I reserve a meeting room?

You must first receive Faculty-approval for an individual or group small-scale activity. Instructions for reserving a room will be provided with the approval.

Where can I park when I come to McGill?

The Education Building parking garage is currently closed. The closest McGill parking lot to the Education building is the Neuro P1 lot (located on Pine Avenue just west of University Avenue, at the former Royal Victoria Hospital main entrance). Information on fees and permits can be found on McGill’s Transport webpages:

Can I send mail/parcels to Faculty of Education buildings?

Mail and parcels shipped to the Education Building, Coach House or Duggan House can be picked up by scheduling an appointment with Mr. Mario Massa, Building Porter, at educationporter.fmd [at]

If you are visiting the building solely to pick up your mail, the handoff will take place outside of the building. If you wish to enter the building, you will need to fill out an item-retrieval form or a small-scale activity form.

Currently, we have no information with regards to mail/parcel receipt at Currie Gym.



Students can find information concerning learning remotely, financial aid, health and well-being, and about the University’s COVID-19 response on the University’s Coronavirus website’s Students section and FAQs. Students can find information on field experiences and internships on the Faculty’s Internships & Student Affairs (ISA) FAQs.

Graduate Students and Postdocs can find additional information on the GPS COVID-19 FAQs. International Students can find additional information on the International Student Services COVID-19 FAQs. The information below is applicable to the Faculty of Education.

Who can I contact if I want to know more about the current or upcoming semester?

Students with questions about the current or upcoming semester can reach out to the following personnel:

DISE Undergrads

DISE Graduates


KPE Student Affairs (Undergrads and Graduates)

Student Advisors:

  • Grace Wong-McAllister
  • Tina Schiavone
  • Susie Vodopive
  • [at]


Administrative Coordinator for OFNIE: [at]

Graduate Student Affairs Coordinators:

  • PhD and MA Programs:
    Micheal Larivière
    michael.lariviere [at]
  • MATL: [at]
  • Graduate Certificates in Leadership: [at]
  • Grad Cert TESL: [at]

For all students, contact: [at]

Nada Abu-Merhy, Undergraduate Student Advisor 

nada.abu-merhy [at]


Catherine Klempa, Administrative and Student Affairs Coordinator (Graduate Students)

studentaffairs.kpe [at]


Can I still connect with my professors and reach out to support staff?

Correspondence by email will continue as usual and most of the Faculty of Education staff are working remotely, although due to personal circumstances people may not be working the same hours. Please be patient in waiting for emailed responses as some staff (both academic and administrative) are trying to navigate their own circumstances, both adjusting their academic activities and their personal/family situations.

I am new to McGill and would like to get to know my new classmates better and make connections in the community. How do I do that?

More information about orientation, student activities, residences for newly admitted students can be found on McGill's Admissions Update page. In terms of making new connections, consider joining or following any of our social media pages and profiles:



Instructors can find information concerning designing courses, teaching and assessing remotely, and about the University’s COVID-19 response on the University’s Coronavirus website’s Instructors section and FAQs.

Remote instruction is new to me. What resources are available to help me?

McGill's Teaching and Learning Services (TLS) have a number of resources, including webinars, on the University’s Coronavirus website: For Faculty of Education instructors requiring technical support with, or questions about, remote instruction delivery you can email Jim Harris and Sanjeev Panigrahy at remotesupportFOE [at] (subject: Remote%20Support%20(Faculty%20of%20Education)) . Please familiarize yourself with remote delivery as much as possible before reaching out with questions and requests for support.

Am I able to request an audiovisual equipment loan?

Yes, instructions on how to reserve and pick up equipment can be found here.



Staff can find information about working remotely, services available to employees, and about the University’s COVID-19 response on the University’s Coronavirus website’s Staff section and FAQs.

There are no Faculty-specific FAQs at this time.



Researchers can find information about phase-in directives for research on campus and more on the University’s Coronavirus website’s Researchers section and FAQs.

Can I conduct my research remotely? Or can I continue conducting my research remotely?

If researchers need to make changes to their research method to conduct data collection by phone or other virtual communication in order to eliminate risks related to COVID-19, then this change can be implemented by reporting to the REB Office using the COVID-19 Temporary Protocol Deviation Report. Faculty approval is not required.

What do I need to do if I am conducting on-campus or off-campus research with human participants?

If you are conducting research with human participants, the university first encourages you to collect data remotely, when possible. When remote data collection is not possible, the university requires that you first receive Faculty approval for research resumption/research safety. Faculty approval is required for both new and existing projects. Our focus is on assessing the necessity for in-person research and the safety of the research plan.

Click here to download the application. For an example application please email [at] (OFFERING).

Note: Student/post doc requests must be submitted by their research supervisor.

OFFERING will review submission and work with applicants to finalize the applications before they are reviewed by the Research Resumption Committee that meets weekly. Please plan for 2-3 weeks for the Faculty review process.

Important notes about conducting research with human participants:

  • Please note that in-person research with vulnerable adults (persons 70 years of age and older, immunocompromised, and/or with chronic disease) is not allowed at this time in the absence of a strong clinical imperative. If your research includes this class of participant, please contact OFFERING before completing the application linked below.
  • Graduate students working on their thesis or project research (outside of a lab) who need a space on campus to conduct their in-person or remote research with human participants, please email OFFERING before completing the application linked below. If there is demand, the Committee will look for communal, physically distanced workspace. These will be subject to availability (no guarantee) but we will do our best to accommodate.
  • Please keep in mind that all McGill directives for research with human participants must be followed.
  • If demand for on-campus research is high, we may ask you to stagger visits, based on recommendations from the university. Moreover, times/dates for your visits are subject to change as more requests come in.

IMPORTANT: During periods of time when the Quebec Government identifies Montreal as a red alert level, McGill will suspend all in-person human participant research occurring in a red zone or requiring travel between regions.

Does the Faculty have any guidelines for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in research?

For any research that involves physical contact with participants, both participants and researchers must use a procedure or surgical mask (reusable cloth masks are not allowed) and protective eyewear (as currently indicated by the IRSST and the Ministère de la Santé et des Services Sociaux (MSSS)).

Surgical masks are a disposable medical mask that have ties so that they can be adjusted for fit. Procedure masks are also a disposable medical mask but have ear loops.

If there will be no physical contact and a 2m distance can be maintained, then participants and researchers can wear procedural, surgical, or barrier masks (such as cloth masks).

For disinfecting protocols or for the exchange of materials between researchers and participants, gloves must be worn.

PPE can be purchased from the McGill Marketplace. Please contact [at] (OFFERING) if you need any guidance.

Please be reminded should governmental COVID-19 safety directives change due to the evolving situation, all McGill workspace practices will need to comply without exception. We will update you with any new safety requirements as needed and thank you for your cooperation.

Will the Faculty help pay for personal protective equipment (PPE) for conducting research?

The Faculty of Education has set aside a small amount of money for those faculty members who do not have grants or whose grant funding/contracts explicitly do not allow the purchase of PPE (i.e., it is not an eligible expense). If you wish to apply for this Faculty funding to purchase PPE, please contact catherine.essar [at] (Catherine Essar) and daniela.frischer [at] (Daniela Frischer )of the Faculty’s Finance Office. They will provide further instructions on how to apply. PPE Faculty funding applications will be accepted only once your research resumption application has been approved. The Faculty’s Finance Office will review applications for eligibility and need. Funds are subject to availability.



Guidelines and resources for supervisors and information about the University’s COVID-19 response can be found on the University’s Coronavirus website’s Supervisors section and FAQs.

There are no Faculty-specific FAQs at this time.

Back to top