Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, Division of Clinical Epidemiology
Dr. Pai is a tenured Associate Professor at McGill University, in the Department of Medicine, Divisions of Clinical Epidemiology and Infectious Diseases, and research scientist at the Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre. Her research has been supported by grants from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, the Fonds de recherche du Québec – Santé, Grand Challenges Canada, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and the National Institutes of Health, among others. She is the recipient of many research and innovation awards, including the CIHR New Investigator Award (2010), the ASAP Innovation Award (2013), the Maude Abbott Award for Research Excellence at McGill University (2013), GCC’s Stars in Global Health Award (2011 & 2013) and Transition to Scale Award (2015), and the FRQS Research-Scientist Salary Awards (2018, 2015).
In 2018, she was elected as a Member of the College of New Scholars, Artists and Scientists of the Royal Society of Canada.
She serves technical advisory groups of the WHO, UNAIDS, FIND, CDC, PEPFAR, and ASLM, PSI among others, and has advised the Office of US Congress.
Her work has been featured in the national and international media: The Economist, Macleans, The Globe and Mail, The Montreal Gazette, Times Now, Times, CTV, CBC, La Presse, Radio Canada, among others.
- Global interdisciplinary research program at McGill is focused on innovation, implementation, and impact, with rapid point-of-care diagnostics for HIV and other sexually transmitted blood borne infections (STBBIs). She also synergizes qualitative research, meta-analyses, mathematical modelling and methodology in her research.
- Develops and incorporates innovation, implementation science, and artificial intelligence to generate solutions aimed to plug health service delivery gaps across all upper, middle and low- income settings
- Informs domestic and global policy on diagnostics and linkage programs for HIV/STBBIs
- Strives to generate clinical, public health and social impact.
Innovations: Two flagship innovative programs owned by McGill University and Dr Pant Pai:
- HIVSmart!: app-based HIV self-testing program of care from access to linkage, evaluated in South Africa and Canada
- AideSmart!: an app-based strategy for point-of-care testing by health care workers, being evaluated in India and Canada