English-language training and employee skill maintenance in the Chaudière-Appalaches region
CSSS du Grand Littoral, CSSS de Beauce, CSSS des Etchemins, CSSS de Montmagny-L’Islet, the CSSS de la région de Thetford, Centre de réadaptation en déficience physique de Chaudière-Appalaches, Centre de réadaptation en déficience intellectuelle Chaudière-Appalaches, Centre de réadaptation en alcoolisme et toxicomanie de Chaudière-Appalaches, Centre jeunesse Chaudière-Appalaches, Centre hospitalier affilié universitaire Hôtel-Dieu de Lévis, Megantic English-speaking Community Development Corporation (MCDC)
The training project’s objectives are:
- To develop staff knowledge and skills in English oral and written communication and contact with English-speaking users;
- To make English-language training accessible to staff in the various services available to the community.
- To allow staff who already received training to progress to a higher level of English communication;
- To assess the English knowledge level of staff in various services so that they can be appropriately placed.
NEEDS AND PRIORITIES
The training offered will help meet the following needs:
- Provide English-language intake for English-speaking users;
- Ask them the right questions and inform them adequately;
- Converse with them to understand their situation better;
- Use English primarily in emergency situations with them.
The Agency will conduct ad hoc consultations with the MCDC during post-mortems or regional action orientation sessions for the English-speaking population. In particular, these consultations will help define training needs and plan training projects and upcoming assessments and orientations.
The project includes a training needs assessment stage to take stock of the language training program’s impact and to adapt skill maintenance activities.
STAFF TARGET FOR 2010-2013
Intake (44), Health (183), Social (51), Others (16)
DESCRIPTION OF PLANNED ACTIVITIES
- Training activities: Face-to-face teaching in 2010-2011 and 2011-2012. In 2012-2013, an online training project (e-learning) on the English language will be developed.
- Skill maintenance and development activities and knowledge transfer: The planned activities are lunch and learns, lectures, immersion, visits to English-speaking healthcare facilities and situation simulation exercises. The number of workers targeted is still to be determined.
- Learner evaluation: There will be a placement test before the session, administered by the training centre, and an end-of-session evaluation.
BUDGET ALLOCATED FOR 2010-2013: $175,000