Oups, this website is outdated! But Dialogue McGill has a new website!
English Language Training for Workers at Institutions that are Part of the Outaouais Health and Social Services Network
The CSSS de Gatineau, the CSSS des Collines, the CSSS de Papineau, the CSSS de la Vallée-de-la-Gatineau, the CSSS du Pontiac, the Centre régional de réadaptation La RessourSe, the Centre Jellinek, the Pavillon du Parc, the Centres jeunesse de l’Outaouais, the Centre hospitalier Pierre-Janet, the CHSLD Vigi Santé, the CHSLD Champlain, the Corporation paramédicale de l’Outaouais
For the first year (2010-2011), the Agency’s objective is to collect information that will allow it to make appropriate decisions so it can provide courses adapted to the institutions' needs and that meet the requirements of the access program. To do this, the Agency plans:
- To evaluate the needs of the institutions in the network;
- To review the formulas used based on participation (levels offered, types of training, place and time, participation support);
- Research best practices to meet needs;
- Introduce proposals and solutions to the Agency.
Following this exercise, the Agency will be able to provide customized linguistic training from 2011 to 2013 that:
- Meet the needs of institutions and participants;
- Encourage skill maintenance and knowledge transfer;
- Contribute to improving the degree of the participants’ linguistic skill;
- Allow for sufficient language learning to meet the accessibility objectives for the English-speaking population.
STAFF TARGET FOR 2010-2013
Reception (80), Health (160), Social (144)
DESCRIPTION OF PLANNED ACTIVITIES
- Training activities: Face-to-face teaching. Forty groups, with an average of ten people, are planned over a two-year period.
- Activities for maintaining and developing skills and knowledge transfer:
- Tutoring – A volunteer from the English-speaking community offers free time to converse with learners.
- Telephone support – The trainer is available by phone at a set time for discussion and to offer support.
- Group discussion – Institutions encourage learner participation in English-language discussion group activities in the workplace.
- Learner evaluation: The learners are graded by means of a written test and an oral interview. A post-test given at the end of the session will evaluate oral expression, oral understanding, written expression and written understanding. The evaluation will help measure the learner’s progress between levels.
- Training materials: The training organization will not develop original materials.
The courses will take place on the institutions’ premises.
A lump sum will be given to the institution based on the number of people trained. An attendance record will be used to offer participants a bonus that will be determined together with the institution. Travel and parking expenses will be reimbursed. Child care costs will be reimbursed upon presentation of the bill to the institution when courses are given outside work hours.