Oups, this website is outdated! But Dialogue McGill has a new website!
Training Project for Staff of the Service régional Info-Santé et Info-Social, Info-Social Section
Le CSSS Bécancour-Nicolet-Yamaska (Service régional Info-Santé et Info-Social)
The goal of the project is to familiarize staff in the Social Section of the Service régional Info-Santé and Info-Social with the English language so that they can assess the urgency of calls in English and provide necessary support to this clientele. Once the emergency has been handled, a conference call system with access to a bank of interpreters will help analyze every linguistic nuance to which a person in distress might resort.
NEEDS AND PRIORITIES
The staff for the first group will be chosen based on individual schedules so that all time slots, daytime, evening, night and weekends, include a worker capable of assessing the social emergency of calls from English-language users.
STAFF TARGET FOR 2011-2013
DESCRIPTION OF PLANNED ACTIVITIES
- Training activities:
- Teaching will be done through lectures and situation simulation exercises. Then, when the department is less busy, workers will be asked to work in small groups to simulate calls in English in order to practise meeting users’ needs. A customized course of two six-hour periods per month over eight months will be offered, for a total of 96 hours of training per year per learner.
- Skill maintenance activities
- During the entire duration of the project, trainees will participate in skill maintenance activities (conversation groups) held on a weekly basis, with the collaboration of a person from Collège Laflèche.
- Learner evaluation
- The placement test will consist of an oral skills evaluation (understanding, pronunciation, vocabulary, syntax). Follow-up during the duration of the course is done by observing and evaluating the participants' progress through situation simulation exercises taken from the participants’ relevant experience, role playing and team work. The situation simulation exercises help to verify if the training objectives have been met as well as to validate the skills acquired and knowledge transfer. There will be a pre-test and a post-test. Progress achieved will be measured based on the difference between the pre-test and the post-test. The evaluations at the end of the course will be done with the participation of Collège Laflèche as part of the training program. The Collège will oversee the issuance of continuing education units (CEU) for each participant who has completed the training, on the basis of one unit per ten course hours.
- Training materials
- The materials are prepared by Collège Laflèche and submitted for approval by the program head of the Service régional Info-Santé Info-Social. The project anticipates both the adaptation of existing materials and the development of original materials.
The courses will take place on the premises of the Service régional Info-Santé et Info-Social.
The courses will be held during work hours and the staff replacement costs will be reimbursed.
Le Centre de formation continue du Collège Laflèche