Oups, this website is outdated! But Dialogue McGill has a new website!
English as a Second Language Training for Clientele Reception and Referral
The CSSS Cléophas-Claveau, the CSSS de Chicoutimi, the CSSS Maria-Chapdeleine, the CSSS de Jonquière
The goal of the language training project is to train employees in English as a Second Language so they can welcome, inform and advise the Anglophone clientele in these institutions. The objectives are:
- to increase ESL skills and maintain knowledge of English for institutional staff;
- to improve reception, information, advising and intervention services offered to Anglophone clientele in the various departments that are likely to interact with this clientele.
NEEDS AND PRIORITIES
The Agency plans to continue the training courses that have been in place for the past five years with approximately one hundred participants and to create new training groups with new participants.
STAFF TARGET FOR 2010-2013
Reception (126), Health (630), Social (84)
DESCRIPTION OF PLANNED ACTIVITIES
- Training activities:
- Face-to-face teaching. Eighty groups of one to ten participants each are planned between 2010 and 2013.
- Teaching by phone. Thirty minutes per call (intermediate and advanced levels).
- Distance teaching with Platform VIA Solutions: maximum of four participants per Via group (beginner, intermediate, advanced).
- Learner evaluation: Participants are graded by a telephone evaluation and/or the Level Diagnostic Test. There will be an evaluation at the start of the training, follow-ups with each learner throughout the session and an evaluation at the end of the session to assess the learner’s progress between levels.
- Training materials: It is expected that a portion of the materials used will be original materials that must be produced. The training organization will also use existing materials, adapting them as necessary (Understanding and Using English Grammar Third edition, Easy Essential Grammar, Oxford English for Careers-Nursing 1).
The courses will take place at the premises of both the training organization and the institution.
No planned incentives.
BUDGET ALLOCATED FOR 2010-2013: $175,000