Quick Links

External funding

External Granting Agency Fellowships are listed on the Graduate Fellowships and Awards website.

Students need not be eligible for funding through external agencies in order to apply for a McGill Graduate Fellowship. However, all applicants for McGill Graduate funding must, if eligible, have applied to CIHR, SSHRC or NSERC and, if eligible, to the Québec funding agency Fonds Québecois de la Recherche sur la Société et la Culture (FQRSC).

Application forms for the Graduate Fellowships are available only to students currently enrolled at McGill from the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Office, Fellowships and Awards website. Completed application forms and all supporting documents should be returned directly to the academic department where student is pursuing the degree. No documentation should be sent to the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Office.

Loans and Bursaries are administered by the province in which the student is deemed to be a resident. Basic qualifications are that the applicant is a full-time student and a Canadian citizen; certain categories of Permanent Residents may also be eligible. The Quebec Student Loan and Canada Student Loan programs operate exclusively on the basis of financial need. Several provinces augment their loan programs with a loan forgiveness programs to help students reduce their debt loads. The McGill Student Aid Office provides information regarding application procedures of these government loan programs. The Student Aid Office also administers institutional need-based funding including short term loans to cover emergency situations, limited bursary assistance and a Work/Study program. Further information is provided in the loans section.