Associate Dean, Research and Graduate Dental Education
Prof. Komarova’s research program is aimed at understanding the regulation of osteoclasts, the cells responsible for bone destruction in diseases such as osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, periodontitis and bone metastases. Osteoclasts are highly active cells, present in bone only in small numbers. Moreover, osteoclasts are terminally differentiated, and therefore do not proliferate in culture. To understand the mechanisms that determine stimulus-specific gene expression in osteoclasts, Pof. Komarova’s laboratory employs high-speed imaging of live cells, quantitative gene expression analysis, as well as mathematical modeling. These studies will provide new insights into the control of bone resorption in health and disease, which may lead to the development of new therapies for treatment of inflammatory, metabolic and metastatic bone disorders. Prof. Komarova completed a M.Sc. degree in physics at the Moscow State University, Russia, and obtained a Ph.D. degree in biophysics in 1996 from the Institute of Theoretical and Experimental Biophysics, Pushchino, Russia. Before joining the Faculty of Dental Medicine and Oral Health Sciences, Prof. Komarova completed postdoctoral training at NASA Ames Research Center, and in the CIHR Group in Skeletal Development and Remodeling, The University of Western Ontario.
In her role as Associate Dean of Research and Graduate Studies (RGDE), Prof. Komarova will support the Faculty’s research mission by invigorating and maintaining the Faculty’s excellence in research and graduate training. Prof. Komarova obtained her PhD in biophysics in 1996 and completed postdoctoral training at NASA Aimes Research Center, University of Cincinnati and University of Western Ontario. Since 2004 she is a faculty member at the McGill Faculty of Dental Medicine and Oral Health Sciences, where she works on diverse research problems relevant to mineralized tissues.
- Bone physiology
- Mathematical modeling
Selected publications over the last 5 years
- Stavnichuk M, Komarova SV (2021) Megakaryocyte-driven changes in bone health: lessons from mouse models of myelofibrosis and related disorders. Am J Physiol (accepted)
- Poorhemati H, Komarova SV (2021) Mathematical modeling of the role of bone turnover in pH regulation in bone interstitial fluid. Comp Biol Chem 94:107564
- N Mikolajewicz*, D Smith*, SV Komarova&, A Khadra& (2021) High-affinity P2Y2 and low-affinity P2X7 receptor interaction modulates ATP-mediated calcium signaling in murine osteoblasts. PLoS Comp Biol 17(6):e1008872
- H Kempf, SV Komarova, M Murshed (2021) Editorial: Ectopic Mineralization of Tissues: Mechanisms, Risk Factors, Diseases and Prevention. Front Cell Dev Biol 9: 759702.
- J Fu, M Goldsmith, SD Crooks, SF Condon, M Morris, SV Komarova (2021) Bone health in spacefaring rodents and primates: systematic review and meta-analysis. npg Microgravity 7(1):19.
- JT Tauer, I Boraschi-Diaz, O Al Rifai, F Rauch, M Ferron, SV Komarova (2021) Male but not female mice with severe osteogenesis imperfecta are partially protected from high-fat diet-induced obesity. Mol Genet Metab 133(2):211-221
- Dsouza C and SV Komarova (2021) Characterization of substrate sensitivity of the P2Y13 receptor: A meta-analysis. 22(7):3468.
- G Sadvakassova, K Tiedemann, KJD Steer, N Mikolajewicz, M Stavnichuk, I In-Kyung Lee, Z Sabirova, M Schranzhofer, SV Komarova (2021) Active hematopoiesis triggers exosomal release of PRDX2 promoting osteoclast formation Physiol Rep 9(3):e14745.
- Stavnichuk M, JT Tauer, Z Nagy, A Mazharian, M Welman, M Lordkipanidzé, YA Senis, SV Komarova (2021) Severity of megakaryocyte-driven osteosclerosis in Mpig6b-deficient mice is sex-linked. J Bone Min Res 36(4):803-813
- Corlett T, M Stavnichuk, SV Komarova (2020) Population analysis of space travelers (accepted) Life Sci Space Res
- Allard-Chamard H, N Carrier, P Dufort, M Durand, AJ Fernandes, G Boire, SV Komarova, SJ Dixon, RE Harrison, MF Manolson, S Roux (2020) Osteoclast precursor assessment and erosive damage in rheumatoid arthritis: the prospective in vitro osteoclast differentiation in arthritis (IODA) Study. Bone reports 12:100282.
- Mikolajewicz N, SV Komarova (2020) Role of UDP-sugar receptor P2Y14 in murine osteoblasts. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 21(8): 2747
- Tiedemann K, Hussein O, Komarova SV (2020) Role of altered metabolic microenvironment in osteolytic metastasis. Front Cell Dev Biol 8: 435.
- Stavnichuk M, N Mikolajewicz, T Corlett, M Morris, SV Komarova (2020) Bone loss in space travelers: systematic review and meta-analysis. npj Microgravity 6 (1), 1-9
- Mikolajewicz N, N Bishop, AJ Burghardt, L Folkestad, A Hall, KM Kozloff, P Lukey, M Molloy-Bland, S Morin, AC Offiah, J Shapiro, B van Rietbergen, K Wager, BM Willie, SV Komarova, FH Glorieux (2020) HR-pQCT Measures of Bone Microarchitecture Predict Fracture. J Bone Miner Res. 35(3):446-459.
- Willie BM, E Zimmermann, I Vitienes, RP Main, SV Komarova (2020) Bone adaptation: safety factors and load predictability in shaping skeletal form. Bone 131:115114.
- McKee TJ, G Perlman, M Morris, SV Komarova (2019) Extracellular matrix composition of connective tissues: systematic review and meta-analysis Scientific Reports 9(1):10542.
- Mikolajewicz N, S Sehayek, PW Wiseman, SV Komarova (2019) Transmission of mechanical information by purinergic signalling. Biophys J, 116(10):2009-2022.
- Mikolajewicz N, SV Komarova (2019) Simultaneous fluorescent recordings of extracellular ATP and intracellular calcium in mammalian cells. Bio-protocol 9(10): e3242.
- Tiedemann K, Sadvakassova G, Mikolajewicz N, Juhasa M, Sabirova Z, Tabaries S, Gettemans J, Siegel PM, Komarova SV (2019) Exosomal release of L-plastin by breast cancer cells facilitates metastatic bone osteolysis. Trans Oncol, 12(3):462-474.
- Mikolajewicz N, SV Komarova (2019) Meta-analytic methodology for basic research. Front Physiol, section Computational Physiology and Medicine. 10:203.
- Ostapienko BI, D Lopez, and SV Komarova (2019) Mathematical modeling approaches to study calcification in biological systems: scoping review. Biomech Model Mechanobiol. 18(2):277-289.
- Mikolajewicz N, A Mohammed, M. Morris and SV Komarova (2018) Mechanically stimulated ATP release from mammalian cells: systematic review and meta-analysis. J Cell Science; 131(22).
- Mikolajewicz N, EA Zimmermann, BM Willie, SV Komarova (2018) Mechanically-stimulated ATP release in bone cells: a balance of injury and repair. Elife. Oct 16;7. pii: e37812.
- Boraschi-Diaz I, JS Mort, D Bromme, YA Senis, A Mazharian, SV Komarova (2018) Collagen type I degradation fragments act through the collagen receptor LAIR-1 to provide a negative feedback for osteoclast formation. Bone 117:23-30
- Boraschi-Diaz I, JT Tauer, O El-Rifai, D Guillemette, G Lefebvre, F Rauch, M Ferron, SV Komarova (2017) Metabolic phenotype in the mouse model of osteogenesis imperfecta. J Endocrinol 234(3):279-289.
- Tiedemann K, D Le Nihouannen, J Fong, O Hussein, JE Barralet, SV Komarova (2017) Regulation of osteoclast growth and fusion by mTOR/raptor and mTOR/rictor/Akt. Front Cell Dev Biol May 18;5:54.
- Boraschi-Diaz I, Wong J, Mort J, Komarova SV (2017) Collagen type I as a ligand for receptor-mediated signaling. Frontiers in Physics, section Biomedical Physics, s. 5:12
- McKee TJ, Komarova SV (2017) Is it time to reinvent basic cell culture medium? Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 312(5):C624-C626
- Steer K, M Stavnichuk, M Morris, SV Komarova (2017) Bone health in patients with hematopoietic disorders of bone marrow origin: systematic review and meta-analysis. J Bone Miner Res 32(4):731-742.