mary.macdonald [at] mcgill.ca (Email)
Tel:(514) 398-7203 ext. 089405
Oral Health and Society Research Unit
Faculty of Dentistry
2001 McGill College, suite 500
Montreal, Quebec H3A 1G1
Mary Ellen Macdonald, PhD is a medical anthropologist with postdoctoral training in Pediatric Palliative Care. In addition to her appointment in the Division of Oral Health and Society, she is affiliated with the Departments of Pediatrics and Oncology, and the Ingram School of Nursing and Biomedical Ethics Unit. She is also Core Faculty in the McGill Centre for Medical Education. She chairs the McGill Qualitative Health Research Group http://www.mcgill.ca/mqhrg/. Her main research interests include oral health in vulnerable populations, palliative care and bereavement research, cultural aspects of health and illness with Indigenous communities, and health professions education research.
Click here to watch on YouTube.
1. Furlini L, Noushi N, Castonguay G, Bedos C, Allison P, De Souza R, Esfandiari S, Hovey R, Macdonald ME, Morris M, Nicolau B, Power F, Feine J. Assessing dental student readiness to treat the underserved: A scoping review. Journal of Dental Education (in press).
2. Loutfi D, Law S, McCutcheon C, Carlin R, Torrie J, Macdonald ME. Health planning for Indigenous populations: A rapid evidence review. International Indigenous Policy Journal, 2018,9(2)(in press)
3. Makansi N, Carnevale FA, Macdonald ME. Conceptualization of childhood in North American pediatric dentistry texts: A discursive case study analysis. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry (Online first)
4. Chan L, Macdonald ME, Carnevale FA, Steele RJ, Shrier I. Reconciling disparate data to determine the ‘right’ answer: A grounded theory of reasoning in meta-analysis. Research Synthesis Methods (Online first, September 3, 2017)
5. Chan LS, Macdonald ME, Carnevale FA, Cohen SR. 'I'm only dealing with the acute issues': How medical ward 'busyness' constrains care of the dying. Health 2017 (Online first)
6. Hordyk, SR, Macdonald ME, Brassard P. End-of-life care in Nunavik, Quebec: Inuit experiences, current realities, and ways forward. Journal of Palliative Medicine 2017,20(6):647-655.
7. Hordyk SR, Macdonald ME, Brassard P. Inuit interpreters engaged in end-of-life care in Nunavik, Northern Quebec. Journal of Circumpolar Health 2017, 76(1): 1291868.
8. Bracken-Roche D, Bell E, Macdonald ME, Racine E. The concept of 'vulnerability' in research ethics: An in-depth analysis of policies and guidelines. Health Research Policy and Systems 2017,15(1):8.
9. Bélanger E, Rodríguez C, Groleau D; Légaré F, Macdonald ME, Marchand R Patient participation in palliative care decisions: An ethnographic discourse analysis. International Journal of Qualitative Studies on Health and Well-being 2016;11:32438
10. Affleck W, Fiasse G, Macdonald ME. Narrative, life-trauma, and self-interpretation: Using Ricœur’s Petite éthique to understand the moral experience of bereaved fathers. Narrative Inquiry, 2016;26(1):108-129.
11. Karsoho H, Fishman J, Wright DK, Macdonald, ME. Suffering and medicalization at the end of life: The case of physician-assisted dying. Social Science & Medicine 2016;170:188-196.
12. Keboa, MT, Hiles N, Macdonald ME. The oral health of refugees and asylum seekers: A scoping review. Globalization and Health 2016;12(1):59.
13. **Thorne R, Macdonald ME, Thivierge C, Vignola S, Whiteduck G. Odeminiwin: Understanding and supporting childhood stimulation in an Algonquin community. First Peoples Child & Family Review 2016;11(1):24-37.
14. Mostajer Haqiqi A, Bedos C, Macdonald ME. The Emergency Department as a “last resort”: Why parents seek care for their child’s non-traumatic dental problems in the emergency room. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 2016,44(5):493-503.
15. Karsoho H, Fishman J, Wright DK, Macdonald ME. Constructing Physician-Assisted Dying: The politics of evidence from permissive jurisdictions in Carter v. Canada. Mortality 2016,1:1-15.
16. Pitt R, Sherman J, Macdonald ME. Low-income working immigrant families in Quebec: Exploring their challenges to well-being. Canadian Journal of Public Health 2016,106(8):e539-e545.
17. Stevenson M, Achille M, Liben S, Proulx, MC, Humbert N, Petti A, Macdonald ME, Cohen SR. Understanding how bereaved parents cope with their grief in order to inform the services provided to them. Qualitative Health Research 2017; 27(5): 649-664.
18. Sternszus R, Macdonald ME, Steinert Y. Resident role modeling: “It just happens.” Academic Medicine 2016,91(3):427-432.
19. Rahimzadeh V, Bartlett G, Longo C, Crimi L, Macdonald ME, Jabado N, Ells C. Promoting an ethic of engagement in pediatric palliative care research. BMC Palliative Care 2015;14(1):50.
20. **Carnevale F, Macdonald ME, Razack S, Steinert Y. Promoting cultural awareness: A faculty development workshop on cultural competency. CJNR 2015,47(2):18-40.
21. Steinert Y, Macdonald ME. Why physicians teach: Giving back by paying it forward. Medical Education 2015,49(8):773-782.
22. Spicer S, Macdonald ME, Vadeboncoeur C, Davies D, Siden H. Introducing a lexicon of terms for pediatric palliative care. Paediatrics and Child Health 2015,20(3):155-156.
23. Wright DK, Brajtman S, Cragg B, Macdonald ME. Delirium as letting go: An ethnographic analysis of hospice care and family moral experience. Palliative Medicine 2015,29(10):959-966.
24. Wright DK, Fishman JR, Sandham S, Karsoho H, Macdonald ME. Physicians and euthanasia: a Canadian print-media analysis of physician perspectives. CMAJ Open 2015,3(2):E134-E139.
25. Macdonald ME, Beaudin A, Pineda C. What do patients think about dental services in Quebec? An analysis of a dentist rating website. Journal of the Canadian Dental Association 2015;81:f3
26. Macdonald ME, Kennedy K, Molls S, Pineda C, Mitchell LM, Stephenson PH, Cadell S. Excluding parental grief: A critical discourse analysis of bereavement accommodation in Canadian labour standards. Work: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment and Rehabilitation 2015,50(3):511-26.
27. Carnevale FA, Campbell A, Collin-Vézina D, Macdonald ME. Interdisciplinary studies of childhood ethics: Developing a new field of inquiry. Children & Society 2015 29:511-523.
28. Allen D, Badro V, Denyer-Willis L, Macdonald ME, Paré A, Hutchinson T, Barré T, Beauchemin R, Bocti H, Broadbent A, Cohen SR. Fragmented care and whole-person illness: Decision-making for people with chronic, end-stage kidney disease. Chronic Illness 2015,11(1):44-55.
29. **Naidu A, Macdonald ME, Carnevale FA, Nottaway W, Thivierge C, Vignola S. Exploring oral health and hygiene practices in the Algonquin community of Rapid Lake, Quebec. Rural and Remote Health 2014, 14, article #2975.
30. Bélanger E, Rodríguez C, Groleau D; Légaré F, Macdonald ME, Marchand R. Initiating decision-making exchanges in palliative care: An ethnographic discourse analysis. BMC Palliative Care 2014,13(1):63.
31. Macdonald ME, Williamson Bathory L, Shenker H, Weiler H, Berry M, Sharma A, Rodd C. Understanding healthy pregnancies: Perspective of the Inuit midwives from Northern Quebec. Canadian Journal of Rural Medicine 2014,19(4):128-33.
32. Boudreau D, Macdonald ME, Y Steinert. Affirming and reaffirming professional identities through an apprenticeship: Insights from a four-year longitudinal case study. Academic Medicine 2014,89(7):1038-45.
33. Bell E, Racine E, Chiasson P, Dufourcq-Brana M, Dunn LB, Fins JJ, Ford PJ, Glannon W, Lipsman N, Macdonald ME, McAndrews MP, Mathews DJH. (authorship alphabetical after first two) Beyond consent in research: Revisiting vulnerability in deep brain stimulation for psychiatric disorders. Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics 2014,23(3),1-8.
34. Wright DK, Brajtman S, Macdonald ME. A relational ethical approach to end-of-life delirium. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 2014,48(2):191-198.
35. **Wakani L, Macdonald ME, Carnevale FA, Bernier I, Wawatie J. Diabetes Bingo! Using participatory research to tackle diabetes with the Algonquin of Barriere Lake. Pimatisiwin, A Journal of Indigenous and Aboriginal Community Health 2014,11(3):361-376.
36. Affleck W, Glass K, Macdonald ME. The limitations of language: Male participants, stoicism, and the qualitative research interview. American Journal of Men’s Health 2013,7:155-162.
37. Mitchell LM, Stephenson PH, Cadell S, Macdonald ME. Death and grief on-line: Virtual memorialization and changing concepts of childhood death and parental bereavement on the Internet. Health Sociology Review 2012,21(4):413-431.
38. Cerigo H, Macdonald ME, Franco EL, Brassard P. HPV Detection by self-sampling in Nunavik, Quebec: Inuit women’s sampling method preferences. Journal of Aboriginal Health 2012,8(1):29-39.
39. **Kooiman H, Macdonald ME, Carnevale FA, Pineda C, Nottaway W, and Vignola S. Minododazin: Translating an Algonquin tradition of respect into youth well-being in Rapid Lake, Quebec. Pimatisiwin. A Journal of Indigenous and Aboriginal Community Health 2012,10(1):1-15.
40. Nhan C, Laprise R, Douville-Fradet M, Macdonald ME, Quach C. Coordination and resource-related difficulties encountered by Quebec’s public health specialists and infectious diseases/medical microbiologists in the management of A(H1N1): A Mixed-Method, Exploratory Survey. BMC Public Health 2012,12:115.
41. Macdonald ME, Liben S, Carnevale FA, Cohen SR. An Office or Bedroom? A Disconnect between family culture and professional culture in the PICU. Journal of Child Health Care 2012,16(3):237-249.
42. Cerigo H, Macdonald ME, Franco EL, Brassard P. Inuit women’s attitudes and experiences towards cervical cancer and its prevention. International Journal of Circumpolar Health 2012,71:17996.
43. Campbell A, Macdonald ME, Jackson S, Carnevale M, Collin-Vézina C, Carnevale F. Child citizenship and agency as shaped by legal obligations. Child and Family Law Quarterly, 2011;23(4):489-512.
44. **Sherman J, Macdonald ME, Carnevale FA, Vignola S. The development and implementation of a Type 2 Diabetes Prevention Program for youth in the Algonquin community of Rapid Lake, Quebec. Pimatisiwin, A Journal of Indigenous and Aboriginal Community Health 2011;9(1):219-243.
45. Macdonald ME, Chalk C. Not just numbers: Qualitative research and the clinical neurosciences. Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences 2011;38(2):195-196.
46. Jagosh J, Boudreau, DJ Steinert, Y, Macdonald ME, Ingram L. The importance of physician listening from the patients’ perspective: Enhancing diagnosis, healing, and the doctor-patient relationship. Journal of Patient Education and Counseling 2011:85(3):369-74.
47. Macdonald ME, Rigillo N, Brassard P. Urban Aboriginal understandings and experiences of tuberculosis, in Montréal, Québec, Canada. Qualitative Health Research 2010;20(4):506-523.
48. Macdonald ME, Chilibeck G, Affleck W, Cadell S. Gender imbalance in pediatric palliative care research samples. Palliative Medicine 2010;24(4):435-444.
49. Steinert Y, Boillat M, Elizov M, Macdonald ME, Meterissian S, Razack S, McLeod PJ. Faculty development: If you build it, they will come. Medical Education 2010;44:900-907.
50. **Lang C, Macdonald ME, Carnevale FA, Levesque MJ, Decoursay A. Kadiminekak Kiwabigonem: Barriers and facilitators to fostering community involvement in a prenatal program in an Algonquin community. Pimatisiwin, A Journal of Indigenous and Aboriginal Community Health 2010;8(1):55-81.
51. Cerigo H, Macdonald ME, Franco E, Brassard P. Awareness and knowledge about human papillomavirus among Inuit women in Nunavik, Quebec. Journal of Community Health 2010,36(1):56-62.
52. Steinert Y, Boudreau D, Boillat M, Slapcoff B, Dawson D, Briggs A, Macdonald ME. The Osler Fellowship: An apprenticeship for medical educators. Academic Medicine 2010;85(7):1242-1249.