PhD Student; Department of Integrated Studies in Education
Christopher Dietzel (he/him) is a doctoral student at McGill University, studying sexual violence in LGBTQ+ communities and sexual consent on dating apps. Chris works as a research assistant on a grant titled IMPACTS: Collaborations to Address Sexual Violence on Campus. IMPACTS is a seven-year research partnership with the goal of addressing sexual violence on university campuses across Canada and internationally. Chris is pursuing a career in universities to create meaningful educational experiences for students and to advocate for safe and healthy relationships, particularly for members of LGBTQ+ communities.
Chris works at Campus Life & Engagement (CL&E), a McGill University Student Services office that helps students transition into university, fosters leadership development opportunities, and encourages student engagement. Currently, Chris works on student engagement and leadership development, specifically related to Orientation and Frosh. Previously, Chris coordinated the ACCE Team, a group of student facilitators who give workshops on leadership.
Prior to McGill, Chris spent three years teaching English in France at the high school and university levels. Working at the Faculty of Medicine at l'Université de Montpellier, Chris developed curricula and gave lessons on contextually-specific medical English to doctors, midwives, pharmacists, and speech therapists.
Chris spent four years working as coordinator and facilitator of the Leadership Exploration And Development (LEAD) Program, an international leadership development program that connected students from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD). The LEAD Program provided experiential learning opportunities for international students to explore their leadership, develop cross-cultural learning, and foster meaningful personal relationships.
While at the University of Michigan, Chris worked in the Office of New Student Programs with orientation and student mentorship programs. Chris planned and facilitated events for upper-year university students to mentor first-year students; organized and led programs to ease the transition into university for new, international, and transfer students; and helped manage orientation activities for incoming students.
Chris' years of professional experience teaching at universities and working in student affairs demonstrate his passion for education, his appreciation for cross-cultural interactions, and his commitment to serving diverse groups of people and society at large through his work and research. Chris is dedicated to facilitating meaningful educational opportunities so university students learn about themselves and discover how they can apply their talents, skills, and knowledge to inspire positive change in communities ranging from local to global.
Journal Editor, Special Issue
- Shaheen, S., Dietzel, C., & Jaswal, N. (Eds.) (2017). IMPACTS: Responding to legal and educational dilemmas in addressing sexual violence in universities [Special issue]. Education & Law Journal, 27(1).
- Dietzel, C., & Shariff, S. (2018, January). Book review. [Review of the book Children as ‘risk’: Sexual exploitation and abuse by children and young people, by A.M. McAliden]. Cambridge University Press.
- Concordia Symposium on Sexual Violence and Rape Culture - Montreal, QC; April 9-11, 2019
- American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual National Meeting - Toronto, ON; April 5-9, 2019
- American College Personnel Association (ACPA) Annual Convention - Boston, MA; March 3-6, 2019
- Sites Queer: Technologies, Spaces, and Otherness - San Juan, Puerto Rico; February 7-9, 2019
- American Sociology Association (ASA) Sexualities Preconference - Philidelphia, PA; August 9-10, 2018
- Canadian Association of College and University Student Services (CACUSS) - Charlottetown, PEI; June 17-20, 2018
- Canadian Symposium on Sexual Violence in Post-Secondary Education Institutions - Montreal, QC; May 30-31, 2018
- American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual National Meeting - New York City, NY; April 13-17, 2018
- Education Graduate Students’ Society (EGSS) Conference 2018 – Montreal, QC; March 27-28, 2018
- 2018 McGill Queer Research Colloquium - Montreal, QC; March 16, 2018
- iDate Online Dating and Dating Industry Conference - Miami, FL; January 24-26, 2018
- Students in Mind (SiM) Mental Health Conference - Montreal, QC; January 21, 2018
- Gay Men's Sexual Health (GMSH) Symposium - Toronto, ON; October 23-24, 2017
- National Conference on LGBTTIQ2AS Human Rights – Montreal, QC; August 15-17, 2017
- Education Graduate Students’ Society (EGSS) Conference 2017 – Montreal, QC; March 30-31, 2017
- Provoking Curriculum Conference 2017: Provoking Curriculum Encounters – Montreal, QC; February 17-19, 2017
- IMPACTS Project (SSHRC Partnership Grant) Conference – Montreal, QC; November 4-5, 2016
- Paulo Freire Institute of UCLA, 14th Annual Conference – Los Angeles, CA; April 1-2, 2016
Media & Interviews
- September 17, 2018 - Live radio interview about sextortion with Marcy Markusa, host of"Information Radio" on CBC Radio One in Winnipeg
- April 12, 2018 - Interview titled "Online sexual harassment: What is it & how to prevent it"with content moderation company Besedo
- March 12, 2018 - Podcast interview for "Taking It All Off" in a discussion about online dating and dating apps
- Facebook Canada - invited to provide feedback on "Dating", their online dating service, prior to its release
- Facebook Canada - invited to participate in their Hard Questions Roundtable on women's safety online
- Portrait X - invited to provide feedback on their educational programming that aims to teach high school students about sexual violence
- RÉZO - invited to help design the Quebec public health campaign about sexual consent among gay/queer men
- Centre communautaire LGBTQ+ de Montréal - invited to consult on a project regarding sexual violence and domestic violence
- ACCM (AIDS Community Care Montreal)
- RÉZO - Santé et mieux-être des hommes gais et bisexuels au Québec
- DESTA Black Youth Network of Montreal
- Queer Grad Club of McGill University
- McGill University Joint Senate-Board Equity Subcommittee on Queer People
- Research Committee for the Department of Integrated Studies in Education at McGill University
- Graduate Program Committee for the Department of Integrated Studies in Education at McGill University
- Graduate Student Representative for the Education Graduate Students' Society
- Commission for Global Dimensions of Student Development; American College Professionals Association (ACPA)
- Student Leadership Global Summit Committee; International Association of Student Affairs Professionals (IASAS)
- Leadership Educators Community of Practice; Canadian Association of College and University Student Services (CACUSS)