The IAWG is committed to improving enrollment and enhancing support of First Nations, Inuit and Métis youth.
What is the Indigenous Affairs Work Group (IAWG)?
The IAWG, co-chaired by the Office of the Dean of Students and First Peoples' House, was formed to reflect on the programs and services offered to Indigenous students at McGill. It explores whether McGill's offerings and services might be improved and expanded to better support our Indigenous students.
What are the group's objectives?
The IAWG aims to:
- Encourage First Nations, Inuit and Métis youth to pursue studies at McGill
- Enhance academic, financial and psycho-social support for First Nations, Inuit and Métis students
- Recognize non-traditional learning as an aspect of meeting University admissions criteria
- Create a seamless transition from the home community to the University community
- Encourage the University to contribute towards the educational and socioeconomic potential of First Nations, Inuit and Métis graduates
- Acknowledge and enhance student language, culture and heritage through courses, workshops and activities in partnership with First Nations, Inuit and Métis communities
What has the IAWG achieved so far?
Key components of the IAWG program have already been implemented. These include:
- The development of an admissions process that weighs recommendations from the community to complement the academic record
- The tailoring of a pre-registration summer session to assure academic preparedness for freshman studies
To uphold the IAWG program's objectives, the University continues to:
- Identify of potentially eligible secondary school students, prior to secondary 5
- Orient prospective students to the University environment via an invitational sports camp or wolf camp visit during secondary school studies
- Provide psycho-social support through Student Services and First Peoples' House dedicated supports
- Provide one-on-one academic advising
To read the document on the IAWG's priorities & suggestions, created following the Fall 2016 meeting, click here.