University-sponsored travel continues to be suspended until further notice. Similarly, the University will not sponsor activities carried out abroad, including but not limited to any activity that is:

  • carried out by administrative and support staff members in the course of their work;
  • carried out by academic staff as part of their academic duties (irrespective of the source of funds for the activity);
  • by students that is a recognized university activity, including coursework, fieldwork, co-op terms or internships/stages, and research visits.

Deans and unit heads (AVP level or above) may grant exemptions for mission-critical, time-sensitive activities within Canada, as well as select international activities:

  • critical fieldwork required for timely graduation of students; and internships for students living abroad, within commutable distance of their residence. EOC approval required.
  • sabbatical leaves for academic staff. Dean and Provost approval required.
  • tenure-stream academic travel. Signed letter of acknowledgement must be submitted to Dean.

All authorized travel must be arranged through McGill’s official travel management company, and you will be required to provide proof that your travel has been approved for exemption. As of March 31, 2021, FST and Expense Payment Services (Transaction Services) will only approve travel-related expenses in which air travel is booked through the university’s travel management company. For all other travel-related expenses, FSTs must ensure that the Dean’s approval is attached with the expense report.

More details will be posted to this page soon.

Back to top