We encourage all students to apply online. Applying online is a quick, simple and secure way of ensuring that your application is submitted without delays or problems. Once you have applied, you can then follow the status of your application online.
An $80.72 application fee (non-refundable) must be paid online by credit card (Visa or MasterCard).
Applicants who have applied online, will receive an automated email notification with 48 hours, to confirm that we received your application. For applicants who do not apply online, please allow up to 10 business days for processing.
This email message will also give you access to Minerva, McGill’s online student information system.
- The message will include a McGill ID number and 6-character PIN so you can sign into Minerva.
- Once you sign into Minerva, you will then be able to upload your supporting documents, verify if any documents are missing, and view the status of your application.Once all required documentation and tuition fees have been received, your application will then be processed. Processing time can take up to 10 business days (2 weeks).
- Your admission letter will then be mailed to you via regular mail at the address specified on the application form. Please note, as admission letters are sent by regular mail only, there is no tracking number associated with it.
Alternatively, you can send us your supporting documents:
- by intensivelanguage [dot] conted [at] mcgill [dot] ca (email )attachment
- by fax at 514-398-2650
Click the button below to apply for either the English or French Certificate of Proficiency.
Problems applying online?
If you are not able to apply online, please Intensivelanguage [dot] conted [at] mcgill [dot] ca (contact us) and we will be able to assist you.
Fall 2015 Semester:
- Canadian and Permanent Resident applicants: August 30, 2015
- International applicants: June 28, 2015
Winter 2016 Semester:
- Canadian and Permanent Resident applicants: December 13, 2015
- International applicants: November 8, 2015
Summer 2016 Semester:
- Canadian and Permanent Resident applicants: April 17, 2016
- International applicants: February 28, 2016
Each semester is divided into two six-week sessions for these programs. Admission into intensive Certificate of Proficiency programs is only possible for the first session of a semester.
Missed the deadline?
If you have missed the opportunity to apply for the first session, please contact us by intensivelanguage [dot] conted [at] mcgill [dot] ca (email) or by phone at 514-398-6200 for assistance.
It is possible to register as an independent (special) student and attend courses in the second session. However, as an independent (special) student, you will not have been admitted to the program and will not be eligible for the Certificate of Proficiency until you apply and are formally admitted. Once you are admitted to the program, your completed courses will count towards the certificate.
To register for a course as an independent (special) student, you need to be:
- a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident, or
- an international student with valid immigration status for the entire 6-week session
You must also provide payment in full for the session before you can register.
You can then apply for formal admission to the certificate program for the start of a new semester.
If you have submitted your application and supporting documents, you can check the status of your application by signing into Minerva using the McGill ID and 6-character PIN you received in your confirmation email message.
Applications take 2 weeks to process. Before an application can be processed, the School must receive all supporting documents, the application fee and payment for at least one session, as well as payment for compulsory International Health Insurance (for International Students only).
If you are admitted into the program, you will be sent an admission letter by mail. The letter will include information about writing the Placement Test.
Can’t Apply Online?
We strongly recommend that you apply online – it is the most efficient and quickest way to apply. However, if you cannot do so, you can apply in person (or by proxy) at the School. All application deadlines and admission requirements are the same as those for the online application.
Applying in Person
You can apply to the Certificate of Proficiency programs in person at SCS Client Services. Please bring all required supporting documents and payment of fees.
Applying by Proxy
If you are unable to apply in person, then you may apply by proxy.
All use of a proxy requires that the form below be completed, signed and submitted to the School:
If possible, students should apply online and then have the proxy holder come to Client Services to submit supporting documents and make fee payments on their behalf. Otherwise, the proxy holder can submit the student’s signed application in person as well.
Note: A proxy can also be used to speed up delivery of your admission letter. The School does not deliver admission letters by courier. We can hold your admission letter in order for you to have a proxy pick it up and forward the letter to you. The above Registration Proxy Form is required for the admission letter to be released to a third party. You can submit the form by Intensivelanguage [dot] conted [at] mcgill [dot] ca (email) or by fax at 514-398-2650.
IMPORTANT:Students using a proxy are bound by contract with McGill University upon application. Refunds are only issued to the student upon formal cancellation of a student’s session. See Cancellation information.