LinkedIn SCS

Student Records

Contact information: Students are required to keep their contact information up-to-date using Minerva, including their home address, mailing address and telephone number. Your mailing address is used for official University correspondence not sent by email. If you do not have access to the Internet, you may make the necessary changes by writing to Client Services. The written request must be signed by the student.

Changes to your student record: Changes requiring verification of official documents (e.g., change of name or citizenship, correction of birth date) can only be made in person.

Official McGill email address: The University’s official means of communication with students is email. It is the student’s responsibility to check their official McGill email account regularly. If a student chooses to forward McGill email to another email account, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the alternate account is viable.

NOTE: If your mailing address on file is invalid or incomplete, your mail from the University will be held. Once the address is updated, mailings will resume.

REMINDER: You are responsible for the accuracy of your records

Legal Name

All students are registered under their legal name. This is the name that will appear on your degree, diploma, or certificate on graduation, and on your transcript. It is also used by the Quebec Ministère de l'Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport (MELS) to create a Permanent Code.

For complete information regarding a student’s legal name, please see the University Regulations.

You should verify the accuracy of your name in McGill's records via Minerva. You can use Minerva to make corrections to the formatting of your name (i.e., upper/lower case letters, accents and spaces). You cannot change the name on your record via Minerva. Requests for such changes must be made by presenting official documents in person at Client Services.

Access to Records

You retain full control over who has access to your records. Student verification forms, invoices and all other correspondence are sent directly to you. In accordance with provincial legislation, personal information, including transcripts of academic records, may be released to relatives, sponsors or any other parties only with your signed authorization.

Notwithstanding the above, the University will, upon request, release certain personal information to the following recipients unless you signify opposition on forms available at Service Point:

  • Student Associations recognized by McGill University
  • McGill Alumni Association
  • school(s) or college(s) which the student attended
  • the appropriate authorities involved with the external or internal funding of fees
  • professional bodies or corporations (e.g., engineers, dentists)

Grades: For information on grades, grade point averages, verifications, rereads and non-evaluated work, see Grades.

Transcripts: For information on requesting transcripts and letters of attestation, see Transcripts.

Google Code for Remarketing Tag