What Legal Documents Do We Need From You?
IMPORTANT: Your tuition fees at McGill will vary according to whether you are a Quebec student, a Canadian student from another province or territory, or an international student. There are a number of legal documents that help us determine your residency status for tuition and that are required before registering for courses.
For complete information on the documents you will need to provide before you are able to register, see Details below.
Your tuition fees at McGill are determined by your residency status and will vary according to whether you are a Quebec student, a Canadian student from another province or territory, or an international student. There are a number of legal documents that help us determine your residency status and these must be submitted before registering for courses.
Some of the documents we ask for allow us to obtain your Permanent Code from the Government of Quebec. This unique 12-character code, issued by the Ministry of Education, is obligatory for all students registered at a Quebec educational institution.
What Legal Documents Do We Need From You?
Refer to the list below and make sure that you submit clear, complete and legible copies of your documents. All documents must be valid (not expired).
All Canadian Students (including Quebec students)
All students must submit:
- A completed and signed Permanent Code Data form. Download a copy. (Note: If you have already provided us with your valid Quebec Permanent Code, you do not need to complete this form.)
- ONE of the following documents:
- Quebec Birth Certificate (this must feature the notation “Certified” or “Certifié conforme”)*
- Canadian Birth Certificate (if you were born in Canada in a province or territory other than Quebec)*
- Canadian Citizenship Card OR Canadian Citizenship Certificate (both front and back of card)
- Certificate of Indian Status Card (both front and back of card) or Makivik Society Card (Documents must be accompanied with the Band Letter)
- Permanent Resident Card (both front and back of card) AND Record of Landing Paper (IMM 1000 or 5292).
* If you already have a valid Quebec Permanent Code, a copy of your valid Canadian passport may be accepted.
If applicable, Canadian students may also claim Quebec residency through one of the situations outlined by the Ministry of Education. Please download an Attestation of Quebec Resident Status form.
Click here to view which Quebec Resident situation best describes your situation.
All International Students including USA
If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you are considered an international student.
International students must submit:
- A completed and Permanent Code Data form. Download a copy. (Note: If you have already provided us with your valid Quebec Permanent Code, you do not need to complete this form.)
- Your Immigration documents, as follows:
a. If you will be in Canada for less than 6 months (e.g., for only one semester):
Photocopy of your valid Passport AND Visitor’s Permit (issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada at your port of entry into Canada)
Photocopy of your valid Passport AND Entry Stamp (issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada at your port of entry)
Photocopy of your valid Passport AND valid Work Permit
Note: All visas must be valid until the last day of the semester.
b. If you will be in Canada for more than 6 months (e.g., for two or more semesters):
Photocopy of your valid Passport AND Study Permit (issued by Immigration Canada). If you are a refugee, you should provide your Convention Refugee status document instead.
Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (CAQ) (Certificat d’acceptation du Québec)
For more information, please see Legal Documents.
Submitting Your Documents
You can send your legal documents by email attachment or by regular mail, or you can deliver them in person to the School.
Submit documents by email:
Send scanned documents as attachments to legaldocuments [dot] conted [at] mcgill [dot] ca. Attachments should be standard non-encrypted PDF (.pdf) or tagged image format (.tif, .tiff) files.
Submit documents by mail or in person:
School of Continuing Studies
688 Sherbrooke Street West
11th Floor, Suite 1199
Montreal, QC H3A 3R1
Submit documents by fax:
514-398-2650 (Note: Submissions by fax are not recommended as legal documents may not be legible, resulting in significant delays.)
If you have difficulty submitting your documents, contact Client Services.
TIP: Once we receive your legal documents in a clear and legible format, your tuition and immigration status will be updated on Minerva. To review your residency status, simply login to Minerva and select Student from the menu, scroll down and select the Student Accounts menu. View Account Summary by Term.
NOTE: If you were born outside of Canada to a Canadian parent, you can apply for a citizenship card. Currently, the processing time for an application for a citizenship card may exceed three months from the time the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia, receives your application. This does not include the time it will take for you to receive your card.
To apply for your citizenship card go to: www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/index.asp/.