Parking restrictions on downtown campus - International Car Free Day (September 22)
To all faculty and staff:
Once again, McGill is proud to participate in International Car Free Day, September 22, 2006.
Celebrating life on Earth with the world
Car Free Day was first held in Paris in 1998 and is now celebrated annually by more than 1,500 cities and 100 million people worldwide, in a continuing effort to sensitize people to the effects of vehicles on the quality of urban life and to encourage alternative means of transport, including walking, cycling, car-pooling and public transportation. McGill's participation reinforces the principles in our environmental policy and our desire to reduce parking on lower campus, minimizes pollutants that are detrimental to our health, and adheres to the spirit of the Kyoto protocol, which calls for the reduction of greenhouse gases.
We are aware that Car Free Day may cause some temporary inconvenience, but we are confident that you understand the importance and potential impact of this event.
International Car Free Day at McGill
In light of the campus events that will take place on Car Free Day:
- Vehicles will not be permitted to enter via the Roddick Gates entrance from 6:00 am - 4:00 pm.
- To ensure the safety of pedestrians, there will be no parking prior to 4 p.m. on the main road leading from the Roddick Gates to the Arts Building or in the area near and around the Redpath Museum.
- Vehicular traffic must enter the campus through the Milton Gates to access the main campus.
- Exceptions will be granted to individuals with disabilities and to McGill service and emergency vehicles.
If you must drive to work
We strongly encourage you to think "green" in general, but particularly on Car Free Day — please leave your vehicle at home. Nonetheless, limited parking will be available at the following parking lots for holders of A and C permits only:
- East side of main campus
- Engineering Courtyard (FDA courtyard)
- Behind the Faculty Club/Bookstore
- Powell Student Services Building East (McTavish Street above Doctor Penfield)
- Powell Student Services Building West (Peel Street above Doctor Penfield)
- Drummond Street (Sir William Osler above Doctor Penfield)
- MNI/Residences (top of University Street near the Hospital/Athletics complex)
Wear McGill's colours proudly
This year, consider participating in "La marche des entreprises" on Car Free Day as a McGill participant. Walkers are encouraged to wear University colours (red and white) and meet at 11:00 a.m. at the esplanade of Place Ville Marie. The walk will take place from 11:30 a.m. until noon on St. Catherine Street between McGill College and St. Urbain.
Free McGill T-shirt!!! To promote McGill participation in "La marche des entreprises," the University will provide a red McGill T-shirt for the first 30 McGill staff and faculty who sign up and join the walk at 11:30 am on September 22. Simply contact Kathleen Ng at 398-6247 or via rethink [at] mcgill.ca (email) to register and for any additional information you may require.
Your cooperation and and participation are appreciated!
Thank you in advance for your cooperation and I hope you will participate in the Car Free Day activities as we strive to raise awareness about the importance of preserving our fragile environment.
Vice-Principal (Administration and Finance)