New alumni online community launched
The McGill Alumni Association is now offering graduates a new way to network and connect: an online community, featuring McGill email for life.
As of January 2004, McGill alumni will have more opportunities to get back in touch with old classmates. With Alumnilife, the McGill Alumni Association has created a graduates-only online community. Membership in Alumnilife, which is free, allows graduates to do the following (all in a password-protected environment):
- Sign up for McGill email for life or e-forwarding (until now, email for life has only been available to graduates of 2000 and beyond). A web-based account with 15MB of storage space will be provided;
- See complete class lists from all of your graduating classes (for large faculties like Arts, you will see your department list rather than a faculty list);
- Search for any McGill graduate by name, region, field of work specialization and more (note that the possibility of contacting a graduate directly will depend on what contact information that graduate has made available);
- Update or correct information in your alumni record;
- Enter and edit a profile with your news, and even your photos, while choosing what information to make available to fellow graduates;
- Send a McGill postcard to a friend electronically.
Note that the general McGill Alumni and Friends website still exists, and is still the best source of general information about the Alumni Association and alumni programs.
There are three ways to obtain a signup code for Alumnilife.
- You may have already received a code by email from the Alumni Association. If so, with your code in hand, go to www.alumni.mcgill.ca, click on "I want to become a member" and follow the instructions.
- If you receive the McGill News, your code is the 10-digit number on the mailing label. Again, with your code in hand, go to www.alumni.mcgill.ca.
- Send us an community [dot] alumni [at] mcgill [dot] ca (email) with your name, McGill degree and year of graduation, and at least one piece of information that will allow us to match you to your alumni record (e.g., home address).