Dozens of new titles for summer reading
It's been a while since you last heard from us but that's
because we've been busy acquiring excellent new resources for you!
Summer is almost here; if you’re in town, use your free time to
prepare for and manage your career by doing some reading. The
resources listed below will help you explore career options and
industries, identify potential employers, find jobs, stop
procrastinating, get organised, learn to network effectively, and
In the Brown building
- 150 Best Low-Stress Jobs
- Art et culture au Québec: 2008-2009 (directory)
- Associations Québec 2009 (directory)
- Bibliothèques et centres de documentation 2009-2010 (directory)
- Boston Business Journal's Book of Lists – print out of the BBJ’s lists
- Canadian Subsidy Directory 2009: Subsidies, Grants, Loans, Governments, Associations & Foundations (on reserve)
- Communications et communicateurs au Québec 2008-2009 (directory)
- Confessions of an Introvert: The Shy Girl's Guide to Career, Networking, and Getting the Most Out of Life
- Directory of Canadian Recruiters 2009 (on reserve)
- Directory of Canadian Universities 2009 (on reserve)
- Doing Right: A Practical Guide to Ethics for Medical Trainees and Physicians, 2nd ed.
- Éducation et formation au Québec 2009-2010 (directory)
- Employment Personality Tests Decoded
- Énergie et ressources au Québec 2008-2009 (directory)
- The Everything Career Tests Book: 10 Tests to Determine the Right Occupation for You
- From B.A. to Payday: Launching Your Career after College
- Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance
- Green Jobs: A Guide to Eco-Friendly Employment
- How to Teach Online (and Make $100k a Year)
- How'd You Score That Gig?: A Guide to the Coolest Jobs and How to Get Them
- Kaplan MCAT 2009-2010 Premier Program (on reserve)
- Le Québec international 2009 (directory)
- Making It All Work (David Allen’s much anticipated follow-up to Getting Things Done)
- Mediabistro.com Presents Small Screen, Big Picture: A Writer's Guide to the TV Business
- Médias d'information du Québec 2009-2010 (directory)
- The Music Teaching Artist's Bible: Becoming a Virtuoso Educator
- Organismes communautaires du Québec 2009-2010 (directory)
- Peterson's Graduate Schools in the U.S. 2009
- Procrastination: Why You Do It, What to Do About It Now
- Recruiting, Retaining and Promoting Culturally Different Employees
- Santé et services sociaux au Québec 2008-2009 (directory)
- Science et technologie au Québec 2009-2011 (directory)
- Staying at Home, Staying in the Law: A Guide to Remaining Active in the Legal Profession While Pursuing Your Dreams
- Step into the Right Career: 107 Tips to Change Your Life While Still Paying the Bills
- Teaching English Abroad: A Fresh and Fully Up-To-Date Guide to Teaching English around the World
- Undress for Success: The Naked Truth about Making Money at Home
- The Work-at-Home Success Bible: A Complete Guide for Women
- Your Gap Year, 5th Ed.
At Macdonald campus
- Agroalimentaire au Québec : 2008-2009 (directory)
- Green Jobs: A Guide to Eco-Friendly Employment
At the McGill Engineering Career Centre
- Becoming Leaders: a Handbook for Women in Science, Engineering and Technology
The latest issues (May/June) of the following serials
are now available
Under the Documents tab on myFuture
- Artsboard – jobs in the arts and theatre
- Canada Employment Weekly
- Chronicle of Higher Education (digital edition) - jobs in academia
- Current Jobs in Liberal Arts
- International Career Employment Weekly
- The International Educator
On-site consultation at the Brown resource centre
- Jobs Jobs Jobs - jobs across Canada and abroad
- Prospects Finalist and Postgrad- UK magazines with a focus on undergraduate and post-graduate studies in Great Britain.
- Qui Fait Quoi- communications and culture industries in Québec
- University Affairs - jobs in academia
- Verge - travel magazine
Nursing and health students - please note that Health Careers magazine has 'gone green'. View the latest editions of their series here.
We have new free publications on the shelves in the hallway just outside the CaPS office in the Brown building:
- Graduate School Guide 2009 - also available at Macdonald campus. Lists graduate schools in the U.S. and Canada.
- Le Journal des grandes écoles – contains a directory of post-graduate institutions in France.
Please note that there is also a cabinet in front of the
elevators that contains books and magazines that have been weeded
from the resource centre. These are free for you
to take and include older editions of employer directories and
graduate school listings.
The CaPS website is a treasure trove of information and resources covering all aspects of the job search. This summer, be sure to take the time to explore our site thoroughly and acquaint yourself with the wondrous resources the Web has to offer.
Is this your first year on the job? Are you a recent graduate? Check out the newest section of our website, First Year on the Job.
The June edition of Going Global’s newsletter is now available and covers topics such as immigration changes in Ireland, making friends abroad, top employers in the Middle East, etiquette in Chile, where to find jobs after graduation, and the effects of culture shock. If you’re not familiar with Going Global, read more about this comprehensive international career resource available to you here.
If you’re a recent university graduate and have a profile on LinkedIn (and if you don’t, you should!), request to join Globe Campus, the Globe & Mail's new grad network on LinkedIn, for more networking opportunities.
LoonLounge is a social networking service and community for new immigrants. Besides offering you the opportunity to connect with other recent immigrants to Canada, LoonLounge is full of helpful career resources for the new arrival.
As always, for questions, more information or purchasing suggestions, visit us, call 514-398-3304 ext. 00950 or caps [dot] library [at] mcgill [dot] ca (send an e-mail). We will be open for the summer (closed on Fridays from 24/6/2009 through 31/7/2009), so please pay us a visit!