REVISED February 3, 2010
CIHR March 2010 Operating Grant CompetitionResearch Grants OfficeMcGill UniversityDeadlines:
CIHR Registration: Monday, February 1st, 2010 (via ResearchNet).
Registration is mandatory and late registrations are not accepted by CIHR. The Nominated PI completes and submits the registration form online in ResearchNet. RGO is not involved in the registration process as University signatures are not required at this stage.
For specific instructions about how to register:
Link to ResearchNet:
CIHR Full Application: Monday, March 1st, 2010 -- 5:00 pm EST
When you click on the submit button, your grant will be sent to RGO for approval and submission to CIHR. Applications will not be forwarded to CIHR unless all required signature pages have been scanned and uploaded to ResearchNet before final submission to RGO.
For specific instructions about preparing the full application:
Full RGO Internal Administrative Review: Monday, February 15th, 2010 --12:00 noon EST. To have your application reviewed, click the submit button in ResearchNet so that RGO has access to your file. During the review, you will not have access to your application online, so be sure to save a copy so that you can continue to work on it.
Important: CIHR is enforcing its policy on complete applications. Effective September 1, 2008, applications submitted to CIHR that do not contain all of the necessary information as described within the Funding Opportunity description and corresponding application forms will be withdrawn from the competition process.
For more information: http://www.cihr-irsc.gc.ca/e/36190.html
RGO procedure for submission via ResearchNet
The Nominated PI must register by Monday, February 1st, 2010 online using ResearchNet choosing carefully which “Institution Paid” will administer the funds:
· CFAA: McGill University (RGO)
· CFAC: Research Institute of the MUHC
· CFAD: Douglas Hospital Research Centre
· CFAF: Sir Mortimer B. Davis Jewish General Hospital (LDI)
Researchers may request a budgetary and administrative internal review when they submit their application via ResearchNet to RGO by 12:00 noon on Monday, February 15th, 2010. The grant will be returned to the PI within 2-3 business days with comments. The PI must obtain all required signatures, scan and upload to ResearchNet (see below) and submit by the final 5:00 pm EST Monday, March 1st, 2010 deadline.
Applicants must complete and obtain the proper signatures on the RGO Checklist (Applicant, Chair and Dean): https://www.mcgill.ca/rgo/checklists/. Please bring the duly signed RGO checklist to RGO before Thursday, February 25, 2010 at 5:00 p.m. If we do not have a copy of your RGO Checklist by this deadline, we cannot guarantee approval of your application to CIHR.
New Procedure for Signatures:
Link to CIHR Frequently Asked Questions about Signatures on Applications for Funding: http://www.cihr.ca/e/41162.html
Please do not forget:
· If the Nominated Principal Applicant is submitting his/her application via ResearchNet, then hitting the “submit” button constitutes his/her signature and he/she does not need to affix his/her signature on the signature page.
· CIHR requires a signature (original or copied) from the Institution Paid. However, if the Institution Paid is submitting the application through e-approval, then hitting the “submit” button constitutes their signature and the Nominated Principal Applicant does not need to affix their signature on the signature pages.
· CIHR requires a signature (original or copied) from other applicants such as Principal Applicants and Co-Applicants listed on the application. Once all required signatures have been obtained, the PI must scan the signature pages and upload the signed pages to ResearchNet as part of the submission before the March 1, 2010 deadline.
· As of December 15, 2009, CIHR no longer requires signatures, on the “CIHR Signature Pages,” from Institutions or Organizations of other applicants such as Principal Applicant and Co-Applicant.
· Principal Applicants are no longer required to have an employment relationship or academic status with a CIHR – eligible Institution. Foreign researchers who do not have such status, but who share responsibility for the direction of the proposed activities, and who meet the eligibility requirements for Principal Applicant as outlined in the Funding Opportunity, may apply as Principal Applicant. Foreign researchers applying as Principal Applicants are not required to spend a minimum of six months per year at a Canadian institution. (Note that the requirement for "6 months per year in Canada" (Grants programs only) remains in place for Nominated Principal Applicants).
· RGO will require a duly signed RGO checklist. If we do not have a copy of your completed RGO checklist by Thursday, February 25th, 2010, we cannot guarantee approval of your application to CIHR.
The final deadline to electronically submit the grant application to RGO for submission to CIHR is 5:00 pm EST on Monday, March 1st, 2010.
Important: After this time, you will not be able to submit the grant.
For more information, please contact the Research Grants Office:
Martyn.liness [at] mcgill.ca
vera.milbradt [at] mcgill.ca
leisa.smith [at] mcgill.ca