CaPS Acquisitions Update (September 2012)
CaPS Acquisitions Update - September 2012
Check out our new career books and resources to help you to plan and get your dream career.
You may borrow the following books or resources at CaPS, Brown Student Services Building (room 2200)
- Your Last Day of School: 56 Ways You Can Be a Great Intern and Turn Your Internship Into a Job
- CaPS Library - Acquisition (September 2012)
New Online Resource
Are you a graduate student seeking a non-academic career path in
the Humanities and Social Sciences?
In the effort to help you to explore and pursue a non-academic career in the Humanities and Social Sciences, McGill CaPS has subscribed to the Versatile PhD to give you the access to its premium content for a limited time (September 2012 to June 2013).
The Versatile PhD is a web resource for graduates to identify, prepare for, and excel in non-academic careers in the field of Humanities and Social Sciences. The premium content includes:
- Hiring success stories – Authentic, successful CVs that resulted in PhDs getting hired straight out of the academy
- Career autobiographies – Advanced graduates describing how their careers evolved over time
- Panel discussions – Panels of graduates working in PhD-friendly fields answering questions from people like you
- Advancement success stories – Cover letters and resumes showing a graduate advancing to a more desirable position
To access the premium content:
Login myFuture and follow the instruction:
- Click the link Resources
- Click the link Career Resources
- In the Keywords field, enter the word SUBSCRIPTION
- Click the button Apply Search to see a list of resources.
- Scroll down to find the link the Versatile PhD link.
- Click the Versatile PhD Premium Login link
- Register with your McGill email to obtain access for 1 year
Online Job Listings
Accessible via myFuture (Resources -> Career Resources -> Type: CaPS -> Subscription. Click "Apply Search"):
- Artsboard: Canada's employment and training e-bulletin for the Arts.
- Current Jobs in Liberal Arts: An entry-level employment bulletin for the Liberal Arts Professions.
- International Career Employment Weekly: A comprehensive source of international careers for professionals.
- TIE - The International Educator: Hundreds of overseas teaching jobs from top international schools around the world.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education: US-based number one news and job-information source for higher education.
Free Online & Print Magazines
Available online at Online & Print Magazines
- Job Choices (New edition!): Tips for job search, careers fair success, and CV writing.
- Career Options: Tips from experts for student job seekers.
- Job Postings: Entry-level, full-time, part-time, internship opportunities and career tips.
- Magazine Jobboom (French): Tips and advice on all aspects of the world of work.
- University Affairs Magazine: Canada's magazine and career resource for higher education.
- Verge Magazine: The premier magazine for exploring opportunities to study, work and volunteer abroad.
Online Career Resources
- External Scholarships: A database of scholarships for graduate and undergraduate students.
- Labour Market Information: Monthly labour market trends.
- Versatile PhD (New!) : A web resource for graduate students in the Humanities and Social Sciences
- Going Global (VPN is required): Worldwide job and internship listings, employer profiles, and country-specific career information.
- Big Guide (VPN is required. Individual registration is required): A comprehensive interactive web site that helps students and young professionals build global career skills.
- Vault Career Guides (VPN is required. Individual registration is required): Downloadable career guidebooks, insider company surveys, industry profile, career advice.
- Bridge - Worldwide Music Connection: Music-related postings. Contact McGill CaPS for username and password.
- Devex (VPN is required. Individual registration is recommended): International development premium job. board.
- Career Cruising: An industry-leading online career guidance and planning system. Contact McGill CaPS for username and password.
Search our book catalogue and website directory for more career resources, covering graduate school, networking, occupational descriptions, employer directories, self-improvement, and everything in between.