New and renewed government funding for research in McGill's Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
Today, the Honourable Randy Boissonnault, Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Official Languages, on behalf of the Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Innovation, Science, and Industry, and the Honourable Mark Holland, Minister of Health, announced an investment of more than $960 million in support of research and innovation through a suite of programs. These programs include the John R. Evans Leaders’ Fund (JELF), the SSHRC-administered Canada Research Chair (CRC) Program, the Partnership Development and Partnership Engage Grants & Insight Grants competitions, and NSERC’s Discovery Research Programs.
Congratulations to our Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences professors who received new or renewed funding for their innovative work! The Government of Canada’s significant investment in their work will empower research that will support humanity’s needs for food, health and a flourishing natural environment in Canada and around the world.
- Professor Anja Geitmann, Canada Research Chair in Biomechanics of Plant Development, NSERC, Tier 1 (Renewed)
- Professor Thavy Long, Institute of Parasitology: Exploring the role of extracellular vesicles in Schistosoma mansoni
- Professor Viacheslav Adamchuk, Department of Bioresource Engineering: Integrated proximal sensing of soil and crop
- Associate Professor Stéphane Bayen, Department of Food Science and Agricultural Chemistry: Non-target analysis of intentionally and non intentionally added substances in plastic-based food contact materials and their alternatives
- Assistant Professor Idaresit Ekaette, Department of Bioresource Engineering: Pyrolysis of sugars and phenolic compounds for the formation of novel structured food materials
- Associate Professor Saji George, Department of Food Science and Agricultural Chemistry: Understanding the consequence of material transformation on the immunomodulatory effect of ingested nanomaterials
- Associate Professor Salwa Karboune, Department of Food Science and Agricultural Chemistry: Expanding the biocatalytic synthesis of bioactive compounds: from discovery to application
- Assistant Professor Ebenezer Miezah Kwofie, Department of Bioresource Engineering: Enhancing circular bioeconomy pathways of plant-based protein processing systems
- Associate Professor Xiaonan Lu, Department of Food Science and Agricultural Chemistry: Determination of food safety, quality and authenticity using X-Ray fluorescence spectroscopy
- Distinguished James McGill Professor Shiv O. Prasher, Department of Bioresource Engineering: Reducing non-point environmental pollution from conventional and emerging contaminants under current and changing climate
- Assistant Professor Denis Roy, Department of Natural Resource Sciences: Rapid critically needed assessments of species biocomplexity and local adaptation for marine fishes in a warming Arctic
- Professor Lyle Whyte, Department of Natural Resource Sciences: Polar microbial ecology and diversity; Measuring soil greenhouse gas flux to predict arctic carbon flow and promote sustainable agriculture in the era of climate change
- Assistant Professor Jianguo Xia, Institute of Parasitology: High-throughput metabolomics for multi-omics and systems biology