Congrats! On Thursday, March, 15, 2018, our colleagues behind the scenes of the McGill Rare Books Instagram feed were presented with a McGill University Principal's Prize for Public Engagement Through Media - Special Recognition.
The account began on February 19, 2016 and as of March 16, 2018 had 5,902 international followers.
From Islamic calligraphy to tiny children’s books, the posts generate user questions about the library’s rare holdings and digital collections, a dialogue that benefits both librarian and audience. Each post is thoughtfully curated to match themes, events, anniversaries, and collective Instagram hashtag “challenges” such as #ManuscriptMonday, #Canadiana150, #styleinthestacks, and #100daysofvimy.
The @McGill_Rare Instagram Collective consists of (left to right in above photograph):
- Jean-Marc Tremblay, Archivist & Records Management Administrator
- Jennifer Garland, Blackader-Lauterman Collection of Architecture & Art / Liaison Librarian
- Sarah Severson, Digital Library Services Coordinator
- Anna Dysert, Librarian-Cataloguer
- Robin Desmeules, Cataloguing Librarian
Huge congratulations to our colleagues on a very well-deserved award!
Read an interview with the account founders by clicking here.