[Extension] Call for applications: Research Assistant positions
The Centre for Interdisciplinary Research on Montreal (CIRM)’s professor of practice Ana Brandusescu and McGill Department of Geography and Bieler School of Environment professor Renee Sieber are seeking applications to fill two research assistant positions for a SSHRC-funded project called Artificial Intelligence (AI) for the Rest of Us.
- Research position 1: Conduct research that analyzes the rhetoric and proposals for meaningful civic engagement in AI development and deployment by the public and private sectors
- Research position 2: Explore the role of civil society organizations to serve as intermediaries for meaningful engagement in AI (e.g., in expanding digital literacies)
- Degree in Geography, Communication, Journalism, Political Science, Media Studies, Public Policy, or a related field
- Strong writing and editing skills, especially in synthesising complex ideas and multiple perspectives
- Knowledge of and interest in media and democracy, technology governance and public policy
- Master’s student stipend for 2 years ($16,400/year) OR part time research assistantship for 52 weeks ($25/hour), depending on expertise
- January 2021 for a research assistantship (existing McGill students or individuals with Masters degrees preferred)
- September 2021 for entry into to the graduate program
Successful candidates will be expected to communicate in English within the work team. Please see the attached document for more details on the AI for the Rest of Us project and the vacancies.
The deadline to apply is December 30, 2020. Please send the following to Ana Brandusescu (ana.brandusescu [at] mcgill.ca) and Renee Sieber (renee.sieber [at] mcgill.ca): 1-page statement of interest; sample of written work; CV.